Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad displays only YouTube on HDTV

This problem has occurred with both an original iPad and an iPad 2. All software is up to date. When I connect my iPad to my HD LCD Aquos television and try to stream a television show, the TV plays only the audio, no video. This happens even when I use the ABC app for iPad. However, when I play something using the YouTube app, I get both audio and video. In fact, the ONLY visual the TV will display is YouTube. No screens, no apps, nothing else. Is there a way to get full A/V from my iPad onto my TV screen? Thanks.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 10:42 AM

Zadnor1-

The iPad 2 is different from the original, in that it can "mirror" its display to a TV/projector/monitor using either the HDMI or VGA AV adapters. The iPad 1 does not do that, and only shows things like slide shows and videos.

So that raises the question of whether you are using an AV adapter, or are using AppleTV to wirelessly stream the television shows? If the adapter, you may have a bad adapter. It would help if you had another to try, or could show the iPads and the adapter to an Apple Store Genius.

Fred

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2011 10:42 AM in response to zadnor1

Zadnor1-

The iPad 2 is different from the original, in that it can "mirror" its display to a TV/projector/monitor using either the HDMI or VGA AV adapters. The iPad 1 does not do that, and only shows things like slide shows and videos.

So that raises the question of whether you are using an AV adapter, or are using AppleTV to wirelessly stream the television shows? If the adapter, you may have a bad adapter. It would help if you had another to try, or could show the iPads and the adapter to an Apple Store Genius.

Fred

Dec 15, 2011 10:55 AM in response to Fred-M-

I probably need a different connection. I am using the 30-pin Apple composite AV cable which they told me in the Apple Store would work. I tried the cables and then had them replaced so it shouldn't be the cables. The problem is the same with both my first gen iPad and iPad 2. I don't think my TV has an HDMI connection; it dates back to probaly 2002. So perhaps I should try VGA. Also, I just found a page n mirroring iPad at the Apple site. Will that tell me all I need to do this? Thanks. You've been a great help. Curiously, I used the same cables several motnhs ago and was able to view TV shows streaming on my original iPad through the TV. Then, it stopped working.

Dec 15, 2011 11:30 AM in response to zadnor1

Zadnor1-

If your TV has a place to plug in the HDMI cable, then it should work. Could there be a setting in the TV or on its remote, that you can change?

If your TV also has a VGA connector, the VGA adapter may work. Bear in mind that VGA is only the Video, not the Audio. You will need a separate audio cable to connect between the iPad's earphone jack and the TV's audio input.

Fred

iPad displays only YouTube on HDTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.