I'm at the end of my rope with connecting to my Canon MX870 AIO. I was having the issues with my MacBook (late 2008 aluminum running Lion) occassionally showing the printer in Paused mode or having a Communication Error. This required a restart of the printer. I was finally sick of it, so I looked on the Apple Support site for suggestions. After trying a few options, I've now messed it up enough so that I can't connect to the printer at all. All I can see now is the Bonjour Scanner. The printer is on my wireless network, as is my MacBook. Here's what's happened so far.
- The first thing I tried was to enable the printer to broadcast over Bonjour (I believe suggested by PAHU). I went to the printer's internal webpage and set it to broadcast over Bonjour (LPR protocol and service notification; it was set to DISABLE when I first went in). This allowed me to see the printer in the drop-down list when I clicked on the Plus button in Print & Scan preference panel. Once I did that, it started the software install dialog, showing "Finding Software" in the status. After it got to about 1/4 of the way on the progress bar, it showed an error that the software could not be found and my only option was to exit without installing the printer. I'm assuming it is trying to download the latest drivers. I've retried this multiple times without success.
- Assuming that I changed the Bonjour setting incorrectly, I turned off the printer Bonjour broadcast.
- Then I tried to re-add the printer. This time, I went to the list of printers after clicking the Plus button (the printer didn't show up in the drop-down). Under Default, the printer shows up with "Bonjour Scanner" under Kind immediately. However, the printer component never shows up. I've left it there for at least 2-3 minutes and "canonijprinter" under Kind is never shown. If I eventually add it as is, it is not displayed as a printer, only a scanner.
- I ran both Software Update and manually downloaded and installed the latest Canon drivers from Apple. After retrying the first 3 bullets, the issue was not resolved.
- I then reinstalled the latest drivers from Canon's site. Again, retried first 3 bullets; again that did not fix the issue.
- I also tried reboots of both the MacBook and printer. No fix after retrying first 3 bullets.
- I've confirmed that the printer is on the wireless network, as I can connect to the internal webpage and Bonjour to the scanner portion seems to work.
- My work Windows laptop has no issues connecting and printing to it.
What's strange is after putting the Bonjour setting back to its previous state, the printer will not come up at all. I don't believe I've changed any other settings.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!