Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad crash after update ios

new ipad crashed during update to IOS 5.1

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 11:06 AM

12 replies

Mar 11, 2012 3:30 PM in response to SageRad

You are responding to someone who received no responses at all for his problem. That is somewhat typical when a user posts a question like rolffrombreda did.

Is that what you want to do as well? Do you want help? Ask a question if you want help.

Posting to a 3 month old post that nobody else bothered responding to seems sort of pointless - unless its just a "misery loves company" kind of thing.

Explained what happened and I'm sure that someone will chime in with suggestions.

Mar 11, 2012 3:42 PM in response to fit151

On the prompting of itunes, I updated my ipad (first version) to ios 5.1. Upon doing so, the device crashed.

Now, I have restored it, so to speak, and the device looks like it is brand new (has my desktop photos), but I cannot get the other content (apps, music) to sync to it. When I look at its profile on itunes, it looks like a fully loaded ipad, but the device itself has nothing on it.

Mar 11, 2012 4:03 PM in response to SageRad

I did not mean for it to sound like I was dressing you down. If I offended you - I apologize.

Have you tried restarting or rebooting your iPad since you restored your iPad?

Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

Have you checked to see if maybe you have signed out of your iTunes account as a result of the crash? Settings>Store>Apple ID. Make sure that you are signed into the correct account.

Is it possible that restrictions were turned on during the crash - Settings>General>Restrictions>On?

Mar 11, 2012 4:23 PM in response to SageRad

Sometimes this helps - unsync all of the music - I know it is not appearing on the iPad - but uncheck the Sync Music heading in iTunes and then sync the iPad. You may have to click on the Apply button in the lower right corner of iTunes in order to apply the change of configuration of unsycing the music. Then check the Sync Music heading and sync again. See if that restores the music to the device.

When you select the music to sync again - then the same would apply to clicking on Apply. I hope that makes sense.

Mar 12, 2012 1:50 AM in response to rolffrombreda

Actually, at the risk of offending I have a similar problem--the Ipad2 crashed updating process crashed when I tried to update to OS5.1. I received (on Windows 7 iTunes 10.6.040) an error message--unknown error.

I noticed at that point that the iPad2 had an image of a male USB plug pointing to iTunes. I restarted both the HP dv7-6135dx and the iPad2. Not only does the iPad2 not show up in iTunes, but it also shows only the USB plug to iTunes image--connected or not connected to the laptop.

I am leaving the iPad2 connected just in case something occurs. but it seems difficult to restore to OS5,0 without any software controls to do so--that apart from losing all data (although perhaps available in the backup on the PC).

The question is, do I have to take this in to get it fixed or is there documentation?

Thanks,

Jon61

Mar 12, 2012 3:54 AM in response to jon61

Your iPad is telling you to connect to iTunes when you see that graphic - and more than likely you will have to restore the device now - requiring input from you - iTunes will not perform the restore automatically. If you have a recent backup, you should be able to restore the iOS software and then restore from a backup.

These two articles will explain the restore process to you. The second article about recovery mode - is probably the way you will have to go if iTunes does not see your iPad.

This will tell you how to restore

iTunes: Backing up, updating or restoring iOS software

If you cannot restore that way, you may have to use recovery mode

iPad: Unable to update or restore

Mar 12, 2012 1:13 PM in response to Demo

Dear Demo.

Thanks. The latter link was especially insightful. After some investigation, involving connecting the iPad2 to a Mac and to another PC I isolated the problem to the USB. I had tried a second USB port on the original laptop--no detection in iTunes, but when I used the third USB port on the other side of the machine, it detected the Ipad2.

Restore did not work because I forgot the password, but I notice that iTunes software is quite ruthless; once you select 'set up new iPad' you lose your original backup (actually after syncing in iTunes) so I had no second chances at trying to figure out the password to the original backup. Gee, they really consider warnings to be superfluous in this software. Anyway, I never trusted the backup thing so I had PC archives to rely on.

Thanks very much for your help, which I also found useful.

Jon61

ipad crash after update ios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.