Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why would the file aliases on my desktop disappear?

I just completed an update, I think it was iTunes, and did a reboot. Now most of my files aliases have disappeared from my desktop. I can recreate them, but that is a bit of a pain. They are not in the trash. Where does Apple store the aliases in the System folder? TiA

iMac, iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook., Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 12:09 PM

Alias files are stored in the folder they appear in. So for example, an alias you have placed on the desktop while logged into your user account will be in ~/Desktop, the desktop folder in your user account's home folder.

However, the desktop can also display other things, like mounted external hard drives or connected servers. (You set this in Finder preferences General tab.) The screen also displays other things that are not part of the Desktop, like the Dock, so are you sure it is alais files that are missing & not something else?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2011 12:09 PM in response to Dutchboy777

Alias files are stored in the folder they appear in. So for example, an alias you have placed on the desktop while logged into your user account will be in ~/Desktop, the desktop folder in your user account's home folder.

However, the desktop can also display other things, like mounted external hard drives or connected servers. (You set this in Finder preferences General tab.) The screen also displays other things that are not part of the Desktop, like the Dock, so are you sure it is alais files that are missing & not something else?

Why would the file aliases on my desktop disappear?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.