Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp 4 - Installer disc not recognised

Hi All,

I am trying to create a Windows 7 partition on my Macbook Pro (late 2009) running OSX Lion 10.7.2 with Boot Camp 4.

Clicking on "Install" button to create the partition and install Windows with the disc in the drive gives an "The windows installer disc could not be found" error. The disc is a downloaded Windows 7 installer disc image, unpacked so it looks exactly like a standard Windows install disc with all files (i.e not a single ISO or image file).

Could the content of the disc be an issue, as to why the Mac cannot read the disc? I have read in another support thread that the solution to this is to burn an Windows 7 ISO as an image (DMG?), so would keeping an ISO file on the disc work?

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 2:48 PM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2011 8:54 AM in response to HN2552

Hi. If you just selected the files inside the .iso file and burned them into a CD, that won't work. What you need to do is:

1) Insert blank CD

2) Open Disk Utility (Applications>Disk Utility)

3) From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the .iso that you want to burn

4) In the list of volumes (at the left of the window), you will now see an item representing the .iso file. Select it.

5) Click on the burn button and you're done.

Mar 19, 2013 1:31 PM in response to miguel.loff

miguel.loff,

Your instructions were so helpful! I was struggling with this for a few days. I tried multiple times to burn the .iso file onto the DVD and this was the only method that worked. Bootcamp Assistant replied with "installer disc could not be found" for all other attempts. If you are downloading Windows 7 from the internet (from your school or something), then DEFINITELY USE THIS METHOD BECAUSE IT WORKS.

Heres exactly what I did to get Windows 7 running on my Mac:

A. Download Windows 7 file; if file is an ".img" change it to an ".iso"

B. Follow burning method from "miguel.loff" YOU MUST USE A DVD not a CD

1) Insert blank CD

2) Open Disk Utility (Applications>Disk Utility)

3) From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the .iso that you want to burn

4) In the list of volumes (at the left of the window), you will now see an item representing the .iso file. Select it.

5) Click on the burn button and you're done.

C. Open Bootcamp Installer on your mac and follow instructions. Download Windows 7 support software to an external hard drive. THE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE MUST BE FORMATTED TO MS-DOS(FAT) (idk what that means but its easy to do.) In order to preserve the mac portion of your external HD, create a Windows partition for you your external hard drive [MS-DOS(FAT) ] in the same disc utility used to burn the DVD

D. Insert Windows 7 Disc; Partiton your computer's HD, and then Windows installion will begin

Boot Camp 4 - Installer disc not recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.