Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! I'm receiving dozens of text messages per day....

... from the National Weather Service (411-911) How do I stop this? 😕

User uploaded file

I do not recall ever signing up for weather advisories, but every time the NWS sends out an alert, I receive dozens of text messages - all identical - for hours. I tried texting back the proper code to unsubscribe, but it tells me that my device can not be found. I've tried Google to see if there was something out there I could try. Nothing.

How do I get rid of this? I've had to silence my phone in the middle of the night because of these messages. Any ideas?

Thank you!

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 5:32 PM

11 replies

Dec 15, 2011 7:07 PM in response to BritinUSA

Thank you.

I went to the site and it asked me to sign in using the email address I had registered with them. I've tried all three addresses and none work.

Also, I did a little reading on their site and found this:

"Currently, only“iNWS Mobile Alerting” is being provided as an experimental service to NWS core partners in preparation for a decision on operational implementation."

Not sure exactly what it means. But it sounds like the service I'm receiving is only offered to those associated with NWS.

Very strange...

Oct 25, 2012 5:04 PM in response to mishmell

You may be receiving Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) from the Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) , a national emergency alert system to send concise, text-like messages to users’ WEA-capable mobile devices that started in April 2012. Wireless providers representing nearly 97 percent of subscribers are participating in distributing wireless emergency alerts.

Mobile users will not be charged for receiving these text-like alerts and are automatically enrolled to receive them.

There are three different kinds of alerts:

1. Presidential Alerts – Alerts issued by the President or a designee;
  2. Imminent Threat Alerts – Alerts that include severe man-made or natural disasters, such as hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc., where an imminent threat to life or property exists; and
  3. AMBER Alerts – Alerts that meet the U.S. Department of Justice’s criteria to help law enforcement search for and locate an abducted child.

You should be able to turn off alerts 2 and 3 by going to the iPhone's Settings app. Go to Notifications and scroll to the bottom to turn them off. Presidential alerts can not be turned off.

For more info: http://ctia.org/consumer_info/safety/index.cfm/AID/12082

Dec 17, 2012 10:13 PM in response to JimM01

I am using iOS 6.0.1 on an iPhone 4S. I did not receive a recent WEA issued in this area. I thought perhaps my phone wasn't set right and did some looking around. I found this thread and in reading your response, I went to Notifications thinking these alerts had been turned off. But I can't find any mention in Notifications of any of the three types of messages. Is there another setting I need to change in order to receive these messages?

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2012 9:33 AM in response to Tgara

After I posted my message, I ran across an ABC news report (1-1-12) about Superstorm Sandy and WEAs. It states that AT&T confirmed it only supports WEAs on 11 phones not including the iPhone 4S or 5. My daughter and granddaughter both received the local WEA on their iPhones but they have Verizon. So I'll have to hit up AT&T for some status information.

Mar 3, 2015 1:15 PM in response to mishmell

I have been having this same issue lately. I know i signed up for a service a few years back, but cant remember where/how. So far I've found this link detailing the iNWS alerts (text messages, not the Emergency Alerts that most phones get) http://products.weather.gov/PDD/MDSS_National_SDD_Final_070710.pdf In that document it says to send a text to 56149 saying STOP. Hopefully it works, I just got around 20 texts within 10 minutes from one of these weather advisory services.

Help! I'm receiving dozens of text messages per day....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.