Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The WiFi join button is constantly greyed out

I have a first generation iPad running the latest version of iOS (5.0.1). Everything works fine except that it will not let me join any locked network. The JOIN button is constantly greyed out. It is greyed out in the Enter Password window and it is greyed out in the keyboard area.

We have two iPhone 4 in our house (all running iOS 5.0.1 and they can join the house's WiFi without any difficulty. Only the iPad refuses to join.

Someone help me please.

NicolSD

iPad, iOS 5.0.1, WiFi

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 7:28 PM

It is greyed out all the time. Before I type in anything, after I have typed in the password. The **** button is always disabled for some reason.

And I am swearing at the button, not you. LOL

9 replies

Dec 15, 2011 7:42 PM in response to NicolSD

We've all had frustrating days. 🙂

This sounds stupid, but under settings, general and restrictions do you have anything restricted that might be getting in the way?

you can try also going under settings and general and scroll down to reset and reset your network connections. Seei f that fixes a the glitch.

also have you tried to reset the device by holding down the sleep and home until you see the silver apple so it can reboot.

Dec 15, 2011 7:59 PM in response to NicolSD

Sorry - I reread your post and I was responding to the wrong problem. My eyes saw "WiFi was greyed out" and not the join button.

Typically, the Join button is greyed out because you are entering the incorrect password. Did you try Settings>WiFi>Your NetworkName>tap the blue Arrow>Forget this Network?

Dec 15, 2011 8:01 PM in response to NicolSD

umm, have you tried to have the ipad forget the network and try to reconnect from scratch?

you could also try going into your router controls, changing hte password/passcode for everything and reenter all your devices.

You could also go through the iphone and ipad menus side by side and see which settings are different. Might be a clue to why the iPad won't connect.

Beyoond that you might try googling your router brand/model and iPad together and see if someone else has had the issue and what their fixes were.

Dec 15, 2011 8:07 PM in response to Skydiver119

I tried to make it forget the network but couldn't find any button to do this. Instead, I tried to force the iPad to connect to it as if it was a new network. I noticed that the iPad refused to allow me to join any type of WPA network. I set it to WEP and everything was fine.

Thanks folks, I am now connected to my home network.

The WiFi join button is constantly greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.