Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail - Create POP Account

When I try to create a POP account in Mail I am presented with the “Add Account” series of windows. However, it seems to start with the assumption that

I wish to create an IMAP account and automatically enters the appropriate data for doing so. How do I get it to recognise that I want to set up a POP account or, alternatively, how do I bypass the automated set-up process and do it manually? I am using Mail 5.1.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 11:08 AM

Ok I finally figured this out by accident! Some versions of Mail do not allow you to choose the type of account you are setting up. After clicking on + to Add Account, you are just asked for the Name, Account and Password and it's automatically set up as an imap account. And you can't change it once it is created. The only way I could find to change the account type when setting up an email account is to make an error logging in! Put in a wrong password, and it will come back and let you choose the account!! Crazy... I'm sure this is different in later versions...

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2017 11:08 AM in response to Beetone

Ok I finally figured this out by accident! Some versions of Mail do not allow you to choose the type of account you are setting up. After clicking on + to Add Account, you are just asked for the Name, Account and Password and it's automatically set up as an imap account. And you can't change it once it is created. The only way I could find to change the account type when setting up an email account is to make an error logging in! Put in a wrong password, and it will come back and let you choose the account!! Crazy... I'm sure this is different in later versions...

Mail - Create POP Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.