Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ProRes 4444 with BOTH Alpha Channel AND Timecode?

Recently did a large project of creating alpha channels from green screen footage.

Made the timelines 4444 and tried to output.

If I export as Quicktime, I get the timecode but not the Alpha channel.

If I export as Quicktime Conversion, I can get the Alpha channel, but not the timecode.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Is there a way to get both on the same output?

Like I said, this project is large -- 91 files -- and it takes more than 8 hours to export out either way even on a current 6 core machine.

What I really do NOT want to have to do is some crazy copy and paste of the timecode information from two separate exports.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 2:35 PM

11 replies

Dec 16, 2011 4:14 PM in response to RatVega™

You said, "'export as Quicktime' is a very vague description."

Actually, it's not.

A person only has a few choices in Final Cut Pro. If you want to get really specific;

File > Export > QuckTime Movie...

Or

File > Export > Using QuickTime Conversion...

That's it!

With the first and ONLY the first, it will export whatever is on your timeline and you can get Timecode, but I can't figure out a way to make it output the Alpha channel with it.

With the other, you can get any sort of converted output you can input, including ProRes 4444 and Alpha, but unfortunately not the Timecode track.

UNLESS some Guru out there knows some sort of trick.

I'm hoping to find somebody that knows one.

Dec 17, 2011 7:22 AM in response to Paul Quade

As Ratvega suggested, did you make sure that the sequence settings were set to millions+ colors? The + indicates an alpha channel and is found in the advanced quicktime settings. I'm pretty sure it's set by default for prores4444 but worth a check. I've done this recently without a problem (exporting a prores4444 sequence with an alpha), and brought it back in to fcp and used it to superimpose. Didn't check the timecode, but since you're getting this successfully using the quicktime export option (which is what I used - not quicktime conversion), it seems you should be able to get this to work.

Dec 17, 2011 9:09 AM in response to Nick Holmes

Yep, I have the timeline for the sequences set up as 4444 and when exporting using File > Export > QuckTime Movie... the alpha channel still doesn't export with it. It's really weird because I'd never had an issue like this before.

I suspect it's some setting somewhere, but it's not solved just by setting the sequence to 4444. Yes, I understance about setting colors to millions+.

My problem today is it's a client system and I'm not there so I can't check it out over the weekend.

Thanks for the help though.

ProRes 4444 with BOTH Alpha Channel AND Timecode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.