Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Code, description, meta tags?

I used to use Frontpage, I changed and barely understand Dreamweaver, so I finally tried iWeb. I love how easy it is (since the website is important but I'm not a computer whiz!), yet for SEO, I don't see how to make it work. Other than trying to upload the pages to, say GoDaddy, and do it by hand (as if I knew how), is there a way to add these things to iWeb as you build?

Do I even make sense??? LOL

Thank you,

~Teraisa

iWeb '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Hosting on GoDaddy

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 1:00 AM

There is a tool that you can download called iWebSEO. It does mean that you will have to publish your site to a local folder to be able to use it because you need the html, but if you do this and then open your local site using iWebSEO, then you can just fill in the Meta tags etc., and they will be in the correct place.

You will then need to use iWebSEO to upload your site or you can do it with Cyberduck, but you will need to do this everytime that you make alterations to your site.

It is also not hard to do it manuallly - again, you need to publish your site to a local folder and you then need a text editor such as TextWrangler and you simply open the html pages of your site using the text editor and add in meta tags like this. There is nothing complicated about this.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2011 1:00 AM in response to True Crime Fanatic

There is a tool that you can download called iWebSEO. It does mean that you will have to publish your site to a local folder to be able to use it because you need the html, but if you do this and then open your local site using iWebSEO, then you can just fill in the Meta tags etc., and they will be in the correct place.

You will then need to use iWebSEO to upload your site or you can do it with Cyberduck, but you will need to do this everytime that you make alterations to your site.

It is also not hard to do it manuallly - again, you need to publish your site to a local folder and you then need a text editor such as TextWrangler and you simply open the html pages of your site using the text editor and add in meta tags like this. There is nothing complicated about this.

Dec 17, 2011 9:56 AM in response to True Crime Fanatic

Just a reminder: It is now confirmed that iWeb, and iDVD, has been discontinued by Apple. This is evidenced by the fact that new Macs are shipping with iLife 11 installed but without iWeb and iDVD.

On June 30, 2012 MobileMe will be shutdown. However, iWeb will still continue to work but without the following:

Features No Longer Available Once MobileMe is Discontinued:

◼ Password protection

◼ Blog and photo comments

◼ Blog search

◼ Hit counter

◼ MobileMe Gallery

All of these features can be replaced with 3rd party options.

I found that if I published my site to a folder on my hard drive and then uploaded with a 3rd party FTP client subscriptions to slideshows and the RSS feed were broken. If I published directly from iWeb to the FPT server those two features continued to work correctly.

There's another problem and that's with iWeb's popup slideshows. Once the MMe servers are no longer online the popup slideshow buttons will not display their images.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

However, Roddy McKay and I have figured out a way to modify existing sites with those slideshows and iWeb itself so that those images will display as expected once MobileMe servers are gone. How to is described in this tutorial: #26 - How to Modify iWeb So Popup Slideshows Will Work After MobileMe is Discontinued.

In addition the iLife suite of applications offered on disc is now a discontinued product and the remaining supported iApps will only be available thru the App Store from now on.

HOWEVER, the iLife 11 boxed version that is still available at the online Apple Store (Store button at the top of the page) and those copies still on the shelves of retailers will include iWeb and iDVD.

User uploaded fileHappy Holidays

Dec 17, 2011 1:11 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you BOTH. I feel like I almost know what I am doing, and then it's all Greek to me. And, when I finally figure it out (FrontPage, iWeb, DW CS4), it changes!

Thanks to this forum, I did read about iWeb being discontinued, I figured if I recreate my website in iWeb (because it's simple as heck), I could later use another program to keep it update. We'll see...

Thank you both for your time.

Dec 18, 2011 12:07 AM in response to janesanha

Well, you'll need a programme that can import html, so something like Dreamweaver, Flux or WebDesign are all possibilities, however sites never quite look the same, so you are much better off choosing something else and re-building from scratch.

Anyway, you don't need to because iWeb will still work as long as it is on your machine and it work with Snow Leopard and Lion and will not stop - just because Apple stops updating a product and withdraws support for it is no reason at all to stop using it. It is an application and will continue to work supported or otherwise, so no real need to change software.

Code, description, meta tags?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.