Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using old ™ backup after migration

I've just migrate to a new mac using a ™ backup. Can I get my new Mac to use the existing backups - and add to them - so that I don't lose all the old data?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.7ghz i5

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 2:14 AM

15 replies

Dec 17, 2011 7:13 PM in response to Pondini

Greetings:

My iMac died and Apple replaced it with a new one. I migrated my Time Machine backup to my new iMac successfully. However, I didn't see a dialog box with the option for inheriting my Time Machine backup history. So I tried to follow your instructions for reconnecting (B6). I entered the commands as you specified, but I ended up with the following and don't know how to proceed:

User uploaded file

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, since I know nothing about UNIX and don't want to mess things up here.

Thank you,

Nancy

Dec 17, 2011 7:15 PM in response to nfarlow

The screen shot didn't attach to my message. Following is the text from the terminal window:

Last login: Sat Dec 17 12:01:00 on console

[Nancys-iMac:~] nancyfarlow% sudo tmutil inheritbackup /Volumes/backup\ HD/Backups.backupdb/Nancy\ Farlow’s\ iMac

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

[Nancys-iMac:~] nancyfarlow% sudo tmutil associatedisk -a //Volumes/backup\ HD/Backups.backupdb/Nancy’s\ iMac/2011-12-10-030425/Macintosh\ HD

Usage: tmutil associatedisk [-a] mount_point volume_backup_directory

A local volume mount point and a snapshot volume path are required.

[Nancys-iMac:~] nancyfarlow%

Dec 17, 2011 7:26 PM in response to nfarlow

I tried the associatedisk... command again with the space after the slash, and was asked for my password, as your page says, and I entered it. So I think it worked. I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but unfortunately, I am. What do I do next? Close the terminal window? Time Machine on to see if it worked?

Thank you,

Nancy

Dec 17, 2011 7:26 PM in response to nfarlow

nfarlow wrote:

. . .

[Nancys-iMac:~] nancyfarlow% sudo tmutil associatedisk -a //Volumes/backup\ HD/Backups.backupdb/Nancy’s\ iMac/2011-12-10-030425/Macintosh\ HD

Usage: tmutil associatedisk [-a] mount_point volume_backup_directory

A local volume mount point and a snapshot volume path are required.

[Nancys-iMac:~] nancyfarlow%

From the pink box:

To "associate" the OSX volume you're running from, copy the following after the prompt, leave a space after the slash, but do not press Return yet: (emphasis added).

It looks like you didn't leave that space. The sample from #B6:

User uploaded file

Note the space after the first slash (before the blue underline), but none on yours. That's likely all that's wrong.

Dec 17, 2011 7:30 PM in response to nfarlow

nfarlow wrote:

I tried the associatedisk... command again with the space after the slash, and was asked for my password, as your page says, and I entered it. So I think it worked. I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but unfortunately, I am. What do I do next? Close the terminal window? Time Machine on to see if it worked?

Thank you,

Nancy

Yes and yes.

As long as you didn't get an error message, that's all you can do.

But it may not work; TM should have done this automatically -- since it didn't, and we don't really know why, this may or may not work. If it doesn't, you'll be stuck with a separate set of backups.

Feb 7, 2012 10:34 PM in response to Pondini

Hi Pondini, I am trying to follow your B6 solution for my new Mac. According to instruction I need to use both blue and pink procedures. I have Time Capsule. Blue box made it clear I need to drag the sparse bundle file to terminal window, but what should I do for pink box if I am using Time Capsule? How do I open sparse bundle file and locate the volume?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 8, 2012 8:50 AM in response to Mo Li

The "associate disk" function doesn't work on network backups. I see that the last time I revised that page, that's not entirely clear -- I'll revise it again.

You can try it if you want (I did, and wasn't able to get it to work):

Locate the sparse bundle via the Finder.

Double-click it to mount it. After a few moments, a disk image named "Time Machine Backups" should appear on your desktop and/or Finder sidebar.

Double-click the disk image to open it. Then you should see the folder structure similar to the samples in #B6.

using old ™ backup after migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.