Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Server no LAG / BOND Support?

I HOPE I am missing something. I put the dual GE on the Mac Pro into a LAG / BOND Group, to my switch.

OSX Network pannel sees the bonded interfaces, and though static IP, is getting DNS information from Router.

User uploaded file

The Server Application, knows the IP address;

User uploaded file

But does not see the interface. Setting up the network I get;

User uploaded file

Then 2 screens later after warnings about setting the sever up with not network, I See;

User uploaded file

Note the correct IP, and Interface 'LAG1'

Does anyone know if this is cosmetic or yet another BUG in this server application?

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 5:42 AM

10 replies

Dec 17, 2011 7:37 AM in response to Kevin Cossaboon

Try setting everything up on en0 and then once all services are up and active, form the bond ensuring the bond has the same IP address as en0 did.

Since it appears you are not hosting dhcp on the Pro you will not need to alter the interface. Beyond that, get real comfortable with the serveradmin command line tool.

This is an interesting find. Need to check this when I hit the lab.

Dec 17, 2011 10:39 AM in response to Strontium90

What is "serveradmin command line tool"?

I had the server set up on a single interface, and then switched to the BOND with the same IP, after reboot went to the 127.0.0.1 for it's address. Things work, but I am sure the SSL Certificate will fail.....

I am reformating, loading 10.6, upgrade to 10.7, add Server and start again....

Let me know what you find, and where I can read about the Serveradmin tool...

Dec 17, 2011 12:51 PM in response to Kevin Cossaboon

Open Terminal and type:

man serveradmin

This is the command line tool that compliments Server Admin and now Server.app. It has far more abilitied than Server.app and can allow advanced administration of the server.

I will not be in my lab till Tuesday but I will try a bonded link. So sad, but when you consider that Lion Server is intended to be run on a mini, I guess bonded interfaces are no loger needed. 😟

By the way, the SSL cert should be based on domain name, not IP address. So as long as DNS and hostname are working, then the cert should function as expected.

Jan 16, 2013 5:39 PM in response to Kevin Cossaboon

Just wanted to chime in here and say that Lion Server absolutely DOES support creating a link aggregate.

You do it from the Network pref pane in System Preferences. Of course for this to work the server must be connected to a smart switch that is supports LACP and is properly configured. I have a server running on a bond and have never had an issue.

User uploaded file

Jan 17, 2013 3:57 AM in response to fance

That was EXACTLY the start of the thread. Before Lion I used the Mac Pro dual GE as a bonded group, and when I installed LION and SERVER, the interface did not show up in the Server configuration pannel. The Mac Pro could connect to the network, from an OSX point working GREAT, but from a SERVER configuration there was no interface. No Network detected.

As my Mac Pro was too old for Mountain Lion, I did not try it on Mountain Lion, but instead moved to a Mac Mini.

So to be clear, Apple Server for Lion did not recognize a bonded interface once that interface was set up in the OS.

Lion Server no LAG / BOND Support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.