Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropped Frames or Stutter Issue Real?

I hope Apple is honest and leaves this post up to protect customers.

I would like to put to rest, in a way, the comments about Apple TV skipping frames, dropping frames or stuttering.

It is 100% true and 100% viewable on all Apple TV's that I've seen. I own 3 of them. One is connected to a 40" Samsung HDTV, the second is connected to a Sharp 32" display and the third is connected to a Mitsubishi HD projector with a 130" screen in my home theater. Whether directly connected or using wi-fi you can see the skipped frames issue mostly on HD content converted by hand-brake. You can also see it on downloads from Itunes and of course watching Netflix, though not as often.

A few of my friends claimed their Apple TVs were not having this issue, but when I visited them I was able to point it out. They were simply not seeing it. Most can see it easily, especially on bigger screens. A few don't care, but most are unhappy and have upgraded to the Roku.

The Apple TV is a great device with a serious flaw. Mine will go on ebay soon, since Apple refuses to do more than say "it's a known issue." Thanks. I paid 300.00 for Apple TV's that will now be sold. I borrowed a Roku and set it up for streaming and it works perfectly with no dropped frames or stutter.

The saddest part of this is that Apple fans claim the issue does not exist, or at least a few do. I don't know a single person with an Apple TV who does not see the stutter issue. Out of perhaps 15 people and more than 20 units, only two don't care about it.

FYI, I own 2 Ipads, IMac 27" quad core, Mac Mini (used as music server), Macbook pro and so on. I'm a fan of Apple, but the Apple TV is flawed and should be avoided until this is corrected.

Cheers,

Rob

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 7:48 AM

15 replies

Dec 17, 2011 12:50 PM in response to GoodCaptain

I use my ATV solely for AirPlay audio, and I don't dispute what you're saying about the video issues, but I don't think you can use Netflix as stuttering evidence. The problem with Netflix is that so many of their encodes are atrocious and have horrible stuttering built in to them; it's a major reason I canceled their service. It was at the point that when I saw the Starz logo, I'd immediately abort the program. It wasn't just Starz, though. Many of their other programs were like that. This was on a Roku HD and HTPC, and there were no network or bandwidth issues. It's the crummy Netflix encodes. There are threads on this at places like avsforum.com.

Dec 17, 2011 1:07 PM in response to GoodCaptain

I think I would agree to some extent that AppleTVs do not give as smooth playback of video as say DVD players or BluRay. I'm quite sensitive to this kind of thing and don't see it as frequently as you point out, but I can certainly appreciate that the silky smooth motion I get from DVD and Blu Ray is sometimes lacking.

Encoding quality can have a major part to play, as I guess can decoding algorithms which can change (AppleTV1's did causing major blocky artefacts with some Handbrake settings).

Maybe the problem is that AppleTV probably does most decoding and rendering in software not hardware unlike other dedicated machines, but we don't know for certain.

My main bugbear is poor colour depth causing banding in dark/light areas with iTunes store encoding that I rarely see with my own video.

The problem unfortunately is potentially multifactorial, and when you add in artefact from motion processing circuitry/scalers in TVs it can be difficult to pin down.

As I said I'm pretty sensitive to video artefacts, maybe you more so, but I don't think it should be as bad as you suggest.

I bet your friends were really happy when you pointed out the issue 😉 - it's a bit like seeing rainbow effect with DLP projectors - ignorance is bliss, but once you know you look for it....

AC

Dec 17, 2011 1:27 PM in response to Alley_Cat

This is NOT a Netflix issue. This happens with ALL video media. It occurs even with movie downloads from Itunes. It happens with DVDs ripped and files ripped and HD content via Handbrake. It happens on EVERY type of display, with and without wireless connections. These same videos will play smoothly on ANY other device INCLUDING the original Apple TV (previous model).

While the Apple TV is reasonable for music, the MAC Mini run through a proper DAC renders the Apple TV into toy territory. My system is a Mac Mini feeding a Rega DAC. Power is the Manley Stingray II tube amp to Merlin TSM-MXr speakers.

Finally, the Roku plays the Media and Netflix SMOOTHLY and rarely with any problems unless the network speed is seriously slow. I have also read that Apple cannot fix this issue via updates, though it would be great if they could. So for anyone with a nice theater system....buyer beware.

Rob

Dec 17, 2011 2:05 PM in response to GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain wrote:

This is NOT a Netflix issue.

As I carefully said first thing, "I don't dispute what you're saying about the video issues, but I don't think you can use Netflix as stuttering evidence." The problem in even mentioning Netflix is that the stuttering inherent in its many poor encodes can be hard to distinguish from stuttering due to poor decoding by the device you're using. That is all.

Dec 17, 2011 3:12 PM in response to jon8979

You don't seem to understand this. Netflix is not to blame. Netflix plays perfectly fine on the Mac Mini, older version of Apple TV, Macbook pro, Imac 27, PS3, Ipad 2, Roku and even the Iphone.

The dropped frames are a specific problem linked to the hardware of the Apple TV. You will not see Netflix drop/skip frames anywhere else but on the Apple TV and in the EXACT same manner as with other media. It has nothing at all to do with Netflix.

Also: Your term "evidence" is rather odd. Apple has cited this as a "Known issue." I posted this (and there are MANY posts about it) because I've had the chance to try quite a few of these units in a wide variety of systems and the issue is present 100% of the time. I'd think potential buyers would prefer that this was not a point of debate any longer. The issue exists and Apple will confirm it. If the "stutter" or dropped frames don't bother you, fine. But my main theater system cost quite a bit of money and effort to install. The Apple TV is not up to a very simple video standard that other devices manage; smooth video playback.

Cheers,

Rob

Dec 17, 2011 5:33 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Exactly right! Once I pointed it out they couldn't stop looking for it. Typically it happens at least twice a minute and is easy to spot during scenes that pan or have some sort of smooth action. I can spot it easily. My friends with better systems were aware of it and a few thought I knew or they would warned me. They had already moved to better devices.

What a shame as the Apple TV works great in many respects, but this is a dealbreaker for plenty of people. I can't even imagine how Apple released it with this issue. Do a search on Apple TV frame drop or stutter. It's hardly a small topic being experienced by a few people. Tomorrow I'll be at a local Apple store and I'll ask a few questions there.

Rob

Dec 17, 2011 6:05 PM in response to GoodCaptain

Assuming you are correctly ruling out your network, you may find changing the output frquency corrects your problem.

I don't see this issue on any but one of my Apple TV's and having interchanged the Apple TV's I am able to confirm it stays with the TV and not the Apple TV.

The TV is question is a sharp 42" (my other TV's are mostly LG, but I have 1 that isn't, and oddly enough it's one of the cheapest TV's you can buy - Goodmans)

On the Sharp TV, if I play 30 fps content at 60 Hz I have no problem, if I play it at 50 Hz it stutters as you say. If I play content at 25 fps at 50 Hz I have no problem, if I play it at 60 Hz it stutters as you say. If I play content at 24 fps at 50 Hz it stutters as you say, if I play it at 60 Hz, it's almost OK but carefully examine the picture and you can on occasions see a stutter.

Dec 18, 2011 8:45 PM in response to GoodCaptain

I've been having this problem with my ATV since I got it when the gen 2 version first came out. I see it with YouTube. Netflix, VODcasts, AirPlay, and streaming from my MBA. It's very simple, my ATV get into some state and then I start getting this stuttering, and it varies, usually stuttering every 15 seconds or so. Once it starts stuttering, I have to power cycle it and I'm good for a day or so. I've found no other solution than power cycling.

Doug

Aug 8, 2012 8:26 PM in response to pemarsh

The solution is to use anything other than Apple TV to watch Netflix in particular. Both my TV and my BluRay player can stream Netflix effortlessly, but the Apple TV (3rd Gen) simply chokes too frequently to be usable. All players use the same wireless hub too. Apple needs to get the lead out and issue a firmware update or something.

Mar 9, 2013 4:41 AM in response to GoodCaptain

I am so disappointed.

I am a uge apple fan. I owned very single iphone, every single iPad.

I have a MacBook Air and pro.

I revived my Apple TV yesterday as a birthday gift. This was missing in my collection.

I was perfectly happy with my HTPC and plex, however I could not use netflix on it, due to some issues.

So I craved a Apple TV.

Sad thing is, I get the exact same frame skip. This destroys the entire experience for me.

It happenes about 2 times a minute. This is a deal breaker.

iPad, iPhone and my Mac displays the content just

I recently returned my MacBook Pro retina due to the scroll lag.

Now this. Seems like its becoming fashionable on I devices

Common apple, fix your ****.

Mar 31, 2013 7:02 AM in response to GoodCaptain

I'm glad I found this thread as I purchased my first iTunes movie last night through Apple TV 3, and after about 20 mins of ******* about with settings on ATV and my tv, I'd had enough. My wife said she did not notice the frame drop, until I mentioned it, but to me it was awful!! I stopped the film, and went and bought the film AGAIN using the on demand service from my tv service provider. So having now paid over £4.00 TWICE for the film my question is this..... Do Apple with all their gazillions, due to all the apple products I, my family, and billions of people out there have bought, provide me with a refund on the iTunes film purchase??? And if so how do I go about it?? I won't even mention the ATV refund yet!! Many thanks.

Dropped Frames or Stutter Issue Real?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.