Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Tethering showing up as new network each time?

OK. I'm not exactly sure how to word this, but I'll do my best.

I have the Personal Hotspot feature on my phone. It works great...just as good as my home connection. But, there's a problem. Whenever I connect my iPhone to my laptop to use the tethering feature, a window pops up asking me to pick what type of network it is (Home, Work, or Public). The first time I used it, the network was called "Network 1". The second time, it was called "Network 2." This pattern repeats itself every time I connect my iPhone to the computer with Personal Hotspot turned on.

It's not really affecting the performance, but it's annoying. Is there a way to stop this window from appearing every time I connect to the Internet via iPhone?

I'm using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1. My computer OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. My cellular provider is Verizon Wireless. If you need any more info, let me know. Thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 10:04 AM

There are lots of other threads about this...

A lot of people are seeing the same issue, myself included.

It's annoying, especially if you have to set up any sort of firewall settings each time, but it doesn't seem to cause any harm to create the new network locations. It does keep adding network connections to the Network Locations list, so it can grow larger and larger. They can be cleaned up manually without harm (Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> click on the icon for an active network -> click the Merge or delete network locations link at the bottom -> highlight and delete all the Network n entries that are marked as Not In Use).

It seems to have broken (or gotten worse) with the iOS 5 release (maybe a point release of 5.x.x).

I have not yet seen a solution posted anywhere. 😟

In talking with a friend who does low level router firmware programming, he says it's something about the way the phone identifies itself as a network/router. I don't know the details, but I would hope someone at Apple does and is working on fixing it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2012 10:04 AM in response to rockman0

There are lots of other threads about this...

A lot of people are seeing the same issue, myself included.

It's annoying, especially if you have to set up any sort of firewall settings each time, but it doesn't seem to cause any harm to create the new network locations. It does keep adding network connections to the Network Locations list, so it can grow larger and larger. They can be cleaned up manually without harm (Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> click on the icon for an active network -> click the Merge or delete network locations link at the bottom -> highlight and delete all the Network n entries that are marked as Not In Use).

It seems to have broken (or gotten worse) with the iOS 5 release (maybe a point release of 5.x.x).

I have not yet seen a solution posted anywhere. 😟

In talking with a friend who does low level router firmware programming, he says it's something about the way the phone identifies itself as a network/router. I don't know the details, but I would hope someone at Apple does and is working on fixing it.

Aug 10, 2012 6:55 PM in response to Paul Hodgetts

Hello Paul,

... as far I understand all participants in discussion are Apple users here. I'm newbee to Apple philosophy because I was stuck long time in MS world doing enterprise robust systems. Few month ago I've started to use Apple products and I was suprised how they are suited to humans ... 🙂

Now back to this issue

I have similar issue and thank you really much for your post!!!.

Until now I haven't knew how to at least manage the list of networks and I didn't want do go into registry of Win 7 and do a "try delete" experiment ..

I'm CEO of progressive IT development company having huge experience from big companies I'm driving now my own. As Far I know all big enterprises and their processes like Apple have standard escalation mechanisms how to break through the customer support, first level technical support, second level ... etc. E.g. through the all layers of onion until you will reach someone who knows answer sometimes not much user friendly 😟. because the answer could be in fact

"Hey user, live with that and do not disturb us making the product better, we have other things to do!"

I'm newbie in Apple world but with very detail experience from second side of the barricade 😉

... standard first level support procedure is to solve only major issues other things are left being unsolved until they seem to create big problem. Only if some itchy user is still demanding he could get answer but only if he enter company through enligtened employee and the way to someone with knowledge is very difficult and energy consumpting task - that's my experience.

I'd rather invest my energy into writing of this question to you than being knocked out by Apple support. So my question to you is:

Why you haven't raised your issu to Apple support.

If yes what was answer? Was it reasonable or just dull statement?

Thanks for response!

Regards

Pavel Trnka

Mar 13, 2014 9:31 PM in response to rockman0

Resolved:

On Windows 7

1 Open Network & Sharing Center

2 Change adapter settings

3 Right click (on your tethered "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device", in my case its "LAN-Huawei-USB")

4 Status

5 Details

6 Copy the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway & DNS Servers (in my case its- ipv4: 192.168.42.11, subnet: 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.42.129, dns servers: 208.67.222.222 & 8.8.8.8)

7 again Right click (on your tethered "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device", in my case its "LAN-Huawei-USB")

8 Properties

9 Highlight "Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

10 Properties

11 Use the following IP address:

12 enter what you copied earlier from STATUS here

13 OK

14 close all windows

Now your computer will stop creating Networks, mine has stopped at "Network 14"

USB Tethering showing up as new network each time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.