Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match UK - less than 20% items matched

I'm really excited because we in the UK now have it! I don't get out much... 🙂

However, out of the 13,326 items in my library, iTunes Match has only matched 2,468... Less than 20%. Is that normal? I've noticed quite a few albums that are definitely available on iTunes, but they haven't matched even though I ripped them from CD with iTunes Plus settings. Will it replace the uploads with matches at a later time, if and when this glitch gets sorted?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5 (Late 2005) 4 x 2.5GHz, 1.5G RAM

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 9:15 AM

21 replies

Dec 17, 2011 10:48 AM in response to Jowie

I'm not sure if there's an averge metric, but in my own case I'm still at ~85% matched in general (USA user, btw). Generally my uploads are either 100% uploads for an album (as the album in question is OOP and thus not in iTunes, for example) ot I get those one-off uploads that many people are complaining about.

The only time I've had albums with like 50% upload rates (so far) have been with different masterings. I'll use The Beatles as an example -- the 1980's CD rips definitely have matching issues above the usual one-off errors, but the 2009 CD rips usually match 100% for me. So if you happen to have a lot of CD rips from albums that have been remastered once or twice since your CD purchase, this could be the issue you're having.

Also something to potentially consider is the different pressings between the US and UK. We don't know how iTunes is making their AAC files, but if it's a CD source and a US CD source specifically, there's a possibility that a UK CD rip might be different enough to go over their threshold. I've been posting to a vinyl thread here where we are convinced that the thresholds Apple is using currently to match seem way too high and could problaby be tweaked a little better. In our opinion, of course. 🙂

As for throttling, I don't believe iTunes has anything internal to reduce the bandwidth in use, but I suspect that there are third-party tools that might be able to do throttling at the application level.

Dec 18, 2011 2:54 PM in response to Community User

That's a good idea actually, thanks... Perhaps I could run Charles, unless I can't use a proxy for the traffic through iTunes?

Well if I'm getting less than 20% match rate, perhaps this is something they're going to work on fixing? Yes, I do have quite a few oddity items, probably as many as 500-1,000 tracks ripped from vinyl... But that still only accounts for less than 10% of my entire library.

I'd be interested in hearing from other UK users who are having a similar hit rate to me... And do you think it's worth waiting trying to upload about 100GB of music(!) until they tweak the system so it will match more?

Dec 18, 2011 3:10 PM in response to Jowie

Match rates seem to widely vary, I think how it was originally encoded makes a huge difference as Apple uses waveform matching. I have no doubt over time it will improve.

For now if all you care about is having access on your iOS device it doesn't really matter if it matched or not - in either case it available from the cloud.

Of course if you want the extras (non DRM 256 AAC fer instance) for the moment you're SOL!

Regards,

Shawn

Dec 18, 2011 3:42 PM in response to Shawn Grinter 2

Fingers crossed it does. You're right in that the end result doesn't really matter whether it's matched or uploaded, however, with nearly 100GB to upload, this is going to take me many nights, possibly weeks, of upload time before I can get access to all of my music.

The strange thing is that a great deal of my music was re-ripped in recent years at 256kbps AAC direct from CD. The only thing is a lot of my CDs are pre-remastered versions (some of which I prefer because they haven't been mangled through compressors). Perhaps because all these versions have been superseded now on iTunes, they're not being matched?

Dec 18, 2011 5:29 PM in response to Jowie

The problem is one user may not give a jot about the exact edition or mastering whereas another user may care one **** of a lot. I have three different masters of a particular Robert Johnson compilation. iTunes Match has actually recognised that each is different... and it matters a great deal! And has successfully matched every track of every version. This is a good thing.

On the other hand, I, like many other have recent albums where the edition shouldn't matter a jot and it's omitted matching one track here and there for no apparent reason. This is a bad thing.

Maybe iTunes Match is erring on the side of caution. You can't please all the people all of the time!

Dec 19, 2011 1:54 AM in response to kayeu

It's true... I think if the version I was served up was a different mastered version, in some cases I'd be a little put off. It would be amazing if it gave you the option of accuracy per track, but that's a bit too much of a geekery so I completely understand why they didn't choose to have anything like that.

My home media server containing my main iTunes Library is a Power Mac G5 (until I can afford a nice Mac mini), and so the power consumption is enormous... Another reason I don't really wish to keep it on all the time uploading my library. What I'm considering is taking the drive out of the machine and taking it to work to do the upload on the nice big pipe there! 🙂

Mar 3, 2012 9:47 AM in response to Rudolfensis

There seemed to be a changed with the December iTunes upgrade, if memory serves. But it wasn't "better", just "different". I had a half-dozen songs that didn't match previously suddenly match, but i also had matched files that no longer matched if I retried. So I think they had tweaked something.

Cautiously optimistic that we might see a change coming after 3/7. 🙂

Apr 2, 2012 1:50 PM in response to Jowie

Well, I've just run it for the first time on a 13,000 track iTunes library, and it's matched just 1,100!! Currently trying to upload the rest (which out here in the sticks would take the best part of a year, before which I'd have been turfed off my broadband)!

Have stopped and currently rescanning, see if it does any better the next time round... Bit scary if not.

:-/

Apr 2, 2012 2:43 PM in response to drfrot

Nope. I have now run it three times, and the third time it matched the exact same number as the second time. Slightly better than the first (which was less than 10%)... it's now up to exactly 25%.

But the stuff that won't match is all in the iTunes store. All stuff I've ripped from my CDs over the years.

Not sure what to do. Anyone else had this... and found a solution?

iTunes Match UK - less than 20% items matched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.