Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just ordered a eMac from eBay - How can I return it to default?

I've had a longing for a Mac for years, and I finally ended up simply buying a eMac off eBay for a mere $30.

Nothing came with the eMac, just the eMac itself, so I had to track down a keyboard and mouse for it, along with a power cord.

I know it isn't returned to default yet, so I can I return the eMac to it's original settings without the installation disk? Oh, and if I need the installation disks, then where can I order them for a decent price?

Thanks,

eMacbook

eMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5), 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4, 40GB

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 9:17 AM

There should have been install CDs that are part of your Mac included with it.

Those are required reset it.

If you can't get the original owner to give them to you, you might be able to get them from AppleCare. They will charge you a nominal fee for shipping and handling.

Allan

3 replies

Dec 17, 2011 10:12 AM in response to eMacbook

Allan, welcome to the Mac community.

You can call Apple Customer Support 1-800-767-2775, provide the Serial Number and specifications of the Mac, and for a fee, a replacement set of system discs (if available), can be ordered. However, the discs will be for the original version of OS, that was pre-installed, when the Mac was manufactured.

If Apple doesn't have the discs, suggest you join LEM-Swap for buying & selling Mac stuff. http://groups.google.com/group/lemswap

After you join, post a WTB (want to buy).

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Dec 18, 2011 7:43 AM in response to eMacbook

Welcome eMacbook,

While having the original system disks that came with the eMac maybe handy to have, they won't be too terribly helpful in solving your issues. Those discs will have a much older OS than you have, now.

You may well be able to reset the administrator name and passwords from the original OS disks that came with the eMac as well as having a hardware test disc, but I wouldn't advise installing the OS software that is on those discs.

In your signature, you state the eMac is running 10.5. If this is correct, this OS is the last and most recent OS you can have running on your eMac. It is Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

If you want to reset this eMac, I would call Apple direct and ask for sales/software sales and inquire as to whether or not they still have Retail OS 10.5 discs available for sale. The number is 1-800 MY APPLE and ask for the sales department. You'll pay Apple's original price of $129 for these, but you'll have a set of discs that will keep your eMac, relatively, as current as is now. The last OS for this eMac is OS X 10.5.8.

Good luck with your "new" eMac and return here if you have any other questions or issues

:)

Just ordered a eMac from eBay - How can I return it to default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.