Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 12:38 PM by ericrhall
Gail Zlatnik Level 1 (80 points)

I have an iPad 1, now a year old, and my daughter has just sent me a wireless Apple keyboard to use with it. I use a mouse so often with my regular desktop Mac, and can't tell whether the wireless keyboard has a trackpad or a connection for a mouse. Do I have to buy another mouse?

Thanks!

Gail

iMac Snow Leopard, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPad--the first one; born 12-10
  • King_Penguin Level 10 (120,009 points)

The iPad doesn't support the use of a mouse

• Gail Zlatnik Level 1 (80 points)

yes, i understand that...but does the keyboard need a mouse? do i need to learn all the keyboard commands that cover what i usually do with a mouse? please explain...you are dealing with a coot here. thanks.

• Demo Level 10 (88,757 points)

I can tell you that the keyboard does not need a mouse without knowing anything about the keyboard. The iPad will not work with a mouse in any way, shape or form.

What are you trying to do that you fee that you need a mouse? I do not have a wirelss keyboard with my iPad, but I doubt if there are keyboard commands that you can perform with it.

If you are trying to do things like - right click with the keyboard, select all - things like that - they do not work on an iPad.

• tonefox Level 6 (9,150 points)

The iOPad does not need a mouse for a simple reason - there is no cursor to move.

The wireless keyboard will work happily with the iPad as an alternative to the on-screen keyboard, but a mouse is not an alternative to any iPad function.

• King_Penguin Level 10 (120,009 points)

The keyboard itself doesn't need a mouse. I don't use a separate keyboard with my iPad so I'm not 100% sure of what one offers, but the iPad doesn't support a lot of things that you do with a mouse on a computer e.g. right/command-clicking. Things that you do with a mouse such as clicking/selecting items/fields is done via your finger on the screen.

• deggie Level 9 (52,647 points)

Except for a few apps there is no cursor on the screen to control with a mouse. You use your finger on the screen instead regardless of using a keyboard or not.

• twotenam Level 1 (20 points)

All the keyboard does is allow you to type with a physical keyboard. Keyboard shortcuts don't apply here, neither do the extra F keys at the top.

• Sweettartnaco Level 1 (0 points)

Hi I see ur post from December....    I am a new IPad user and wondered this exact thing.

Wondered if us found ur answer and or had a keyboard now such that u could have a Rec

I too am a typer and hate the tiny hen pecking required w the iPad.     Want a separate one.  .... But if it still manually requires me to put my finger on the screen.   Seems like that'd be an awful pain.     

Wondered if you'd yet formed a real opinion on what's best to use for tose wanting a keyboard and to make a lot of use out of the iPad?

Wondering if it's better to get rid of the iPad and get a real Mac.  ... As it's so cumbersome to use this full time.

Help?    Thanks.

• Meg St._Clair Level 9 (50,790 points)

iPads still do not support mice.

• Texas Mac Man Level 8 (46,565 points)

This is the only "mouse" you can use with the iPad.

Finger.jpg

 Cheers, Tom

• ericrhall Level 1 (0 points)

I think despite the use case for which Apple intended the iPad, it is a matter of simple ergonomics.  Why allow an external keyboard and then require that one move their hand from the keyboard to the surface of the iPad to navigate. This is a repetitive stress suit just waiting the wings. If I depended on iPads for my office like say for example EMR in a hospital, I would **** sure want to be aware of the risks from future claims for RSS!

• Kilgore-Trout Level 7 (30,660 points)

No, not really. The motion required to tap the screen with a finger is FAR less likely to produce repetitive motion injuries than a mouse.

• Kilgore-Trout Level 7 (30,660 points)

Read the article a bit more carefully. Aside from the fact that a study group of only 15 users is nowhere near large enough for any reliable conclusion, it indicates that an iPad that is propped up in the manner one would if using a wireless keyboard may significantly reduce any repetitive or angular injury. I'll stand by my earlier statement.

Previous 1 2 Next