Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import one iPhoto library into another?

I have one iPhoto library on my iMac--family photos--and just imported another one from a Mac Mini, which I've called iPhoto (hiking), as it is photos of our hiking trip. I'd like to import everything from the latter into the former, then delete the latter. I tried just dragging the latter in, but instead of merging, it replaced the former. I've fixed that, thanks to Time Machine, but now need to merge my libraries. Any ideas?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Mac

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 6:23 PM

12 replies

Dec 17, 2011 6:45 PM in response to Schwaben10

I'm not sure which one you want to drag from or which one to. But the easy way to me is. File sharing Turn on file sharing on both. go to the computer you want to drag them to and go to the top and click go -go down and click connect to server. you 'll open up a link where you will have to type in the ip address and the password of the comp. you want ot access. Then hit connect. You will then be able to open up the other comp. files. go to home folder-pictures iphoto- drag it to you desktop- make sure it's just pictures. open iphoto and import. the file you just downloaded to you desktop. Close server and delete file from desktop/

Dec 17, 2011 11:56 PM in response to Schwaben10

Never import one Library to another. Every version and thumbnail is imported like a distinct photo, you lose all your Albums, Keywords etc., the link between Original and Previews is destroyed, the non-destructive editing feature is ruined and so on. In summary: it's mess.

The only way to merge iPhoto libraries is with the paid ($20) version of iPhoto Library Manager

Dec 18, 2011 7:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

In answer to the last post. Yes you can. I just did it last week. Not only on one library to another, but two libraries from a Mac Mini and an Ibook to a Macbook. Everything works and nothing was lost. Once it's on the desktop of the computer you want it in, you use Iphoto to import . You do not just drop it in the pictures folder. That won't work. It imported the photos and the thumbnails. All I had to do was delete any duplicates and orginize it. I did not lose preview link.

Dec 18, 2011 8:38 AM in response to my ginger

Well I'm not sure what you did but no one else has managed to ever import one Library to another without causing a mess as described above - in fact as you describe yourself:

It imported the photos and the thumbnails. All I had to do was delete any duplicates and orginize it.

You also lost any keywords, albums, Faces and Places along the wy. Merging two libraries will not import any thumbnails, there will be no duplicates and you'll have no organising to do.

Dec 19, 2011 10:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

OK, next question. In iPhoto (hiking), the pictures are arranged into several Events, depending on who took the pictures (Neal, Steve, etc.). There are several hundred photos. I'd like to batch rename all the pictures in each event by photographer, so that after I've put them all in one album, they are still arranged by photographer. Is there a way to do that?

How do I import one iPhoto library into another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.