Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I log in to a guest wifi network?

I am in hospital and trying to connect to the guest wifi network to gain Internet access. On my iPad and IPhone a landing page pops up so that I can log in. on my MacBook pro I do not get this landing page and so cannot log in to the network. I am new to MAC's and have no idea what to do to overcome this.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 6:28 AM

13 replies

Dec 18, 2011 9:03 AM in response to vincentfromickenham

Are you sure you are actually connected to there WiFi network. Sorry I'm not at my Mac right now. You first need to check that you have an IP address from there network, System Settings, Network and then WiFi and check to see you have an IP address.

Never tried to connect to a open WiFi with the Mac but on a Windows PC when you first select the open network it Asks You something like "Are you Sure you want to connect to this open network" or "Connect anyway even if it may be a security risk".

Could be the WiFi card isn't really connecting to there open network. Could be a security setting you need to turn off, like maybe the firewall or at least configure it to allow this open WiFi connect to give you an IP address.

Dec 18, 2011 8:35 AM in response to vincentfromickenham

If safari is active, it can hang for a time while the network gets the TCP/IP stack configured. There might be some deadlock if Safari is trying to update RSS feeds or whatnot. Scan the taskbar with your mouse cursor to see what apps are up or command-tab to them and command-Q them to quit internet applications but for the most part the Wifi usually connects in a couple of seconds. If the guest network is open there usually isn't a prompt for information, the animation of the icon will stop and it will be black instead of grey when successfully connected.

The active network you are connected with will have a check mark to the left of the name.

You can obtain a more detailed dialog box by clicking "Open Network Preferences" at the bottom of the pulldown menu on the Wifi icon.

Dec 18, 2011 8:41 AM in response to vincentfromickenham

Mac are OK once you get use to them.

Once you have an IP from the guest network, once you have told the WiFi section it is OK to connect to this Open wireless network, then open Safari (or the browser of your choice) and it should give you the Guest logon page.

Your problems started with opening Safari before you actuall connected to the WiFi network and got a valid IP address for that network.

Dec 18, 2011 8:51 AM in response to Shootist007

Hi, I did all the network connection stuff first and nothing happened in terms of opening the landing page. I then opened safari to see if this opened the landing page, but it didn't . So I forced closed safari which was the only thing running and rebooted. Still the same problem. Is there such a thing as a cmd prompt so that I can do something like an ipconfig?

Dec 18, 2011 9:02 AM in response to vincentfromickenham

Unless you are Linux geek you will hate the terminal application more than the GUI in OSX. Stop trying to think in terms of Windows and open the network preferences applet. The app you use to control the machine setup is called "System Preferences", click on the Apple icon on the left of the system menu. This is equivalent to the Control Panel in Windows.

As for the Wifi, Option-click on the Wifi icon on the menu bar to obtain details about your network connection.

In Network preferences, it will show you whether you are connected and what your IP address is. Turn on the checkbox for "Ask to join" if you insist you need to be prompted every time.

I don't understand why this is giving you so much difficulty, the Macbook Wifi is actually faster and easier to configure than in Windows, and I own both.

Dec 19, 2011 7:05 AM in response to Pixelized

I have just been on the telephone to apple support for 40 minutes. They tried everything but finally said that this was a known issue and that there is no resolution. They have seen this problem with this type of network at many universities and other institutions that provide guest networks. So nothing can be done to connect my brand new and very expensive computer to a network. This is just pants and I wish I had bought a £400 dell pc instead.

Dec 19, 2011 7:06 AM in response to Shootist007

I have just been on the telephone to apple support for 40 minutes. They tried everything but finally said that this was a known issue and that there is no resolution. They have seen this problem with this type of network at many universities and other institutions that provide guest networks. So nothing can be done to connect my brand new and very expensive computer to a network. This is just pants and I wish I had bought a £400 dell pc instead.

How do I log in to a guest wifi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.