Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail View Message Best Alternative

SInce upgrading my home iMac to Lion, Mail on this computer and on Powerbook with Snow Leopard (because I still want to look at my Quicken 2007 stuff) do not show messages in mail via best alternative unless I go into the view menu for each menu to select best alternative. They show all the links which historically would load automatically.

Cannot even see attachments. l also use mobile me, and have not as yet activated the cloud. How can I get back to viewing all my messages in best form automatically? I presume this needs to be done via terminal but do not know....

Thanks in advance.

Julius

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 10.7.2 iMac Early 2008

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 8:42 AM

The same thing was happening to me too but you can change it in terminal by re-writing a default.

So open terminal, /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, and type in this line excluding the quotations of course.

"defaults write com.apple.mail PreferPlainText 0"

Then quit and restart mail and you show be good to go.

Hope this helps,

Garrett

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2012 8:42 AM in response to Julius Hyatt

The same thing was happening to me too but you can change it in terminal by re-writing a default.

So open terminal, /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, and type in this line excluding the quotations of course.

"defaults write com.apple.mail PreferPlainText 0"

Then quit and restart mail and you show be good to go.

Hope this helps,

Garrett

Apr 17, 2013 10:01 PM in response to GarrettEM

the recommendation to run

defaults write com.apple.mail PreferPlainText 0

did not work for me (Mail.app 5.3, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5)

Other sources suggest

defaults write com.apple.mail PreferPlainText -bool FALSE

This did not work for me either.

In frustration, I opened ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist in Xcode and searched for PreferPlainText. It seems to (now?) want either YES or NO as a value.

I set it to NO and saved, then relaunched Mail.app.

HTML (Rich Text) mail is back.

I still want to know what I did to make it disappear!

Message was edited by: vlbcfcl

Mail View Message Best Alternative

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.