Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Olympus E-P3 Raw Support Question

I recently purchased an Olympus E-P3. I thought that Aperture supported Raw format with this camera (at least according to Apple's own statements, it is supposed to be supported). But I loaded photos from my Olympus into Aperture and it just gave me a message that there were unsupported files and it did not import any of the raw files.

So, does Aperture 3 support Olympus Raw or not? I read in other places that people were having to manually tell Aperture to reprocess files and somehow that worked. But I thought Raw support meant that raw files would upload directly into Aperture.

What exactly does "raw support" mean if Aperture doesn't recognize Olympus ORF files?

Thanks.

Aperture 3.2.2

Yes I just updated all my software including Aperture Raw support

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 11:53 AM

6 replies

Dec 18, 2011 2:43 PM in response to Susan Pigott

You're right according to the RAW Camera list the E-P3 should be supported by Aperture.

If you go to /System/Library/CoreServices you'll see the raw camera bundle RawCamera.bundle. If you highlight it and the select Get Info what is the version shown for it?

This is from this system:

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - What version of the OS are you running?

Dec 18, 2011 6:12 PM in response to Susan Pigott

Looking at this page OS X Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats the Olympus PEN E-P3 is show as supported by 10.7.2 so a few last things I can think to try:

1. One is to do the steps listed in Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics. Doesn;t seem like this would be a library problem but you never know and the procedures don;t take much time.
  2. Would be to create a new library and try to import a RAW file into that just to try and narrow down where the problem is.
  3. Would be to create a new user on your system, log in as that user, run Aperture and try to import a RAW file for the same reason.
  4. Would be to post RAW file on the net somewhere like dropbox so one of us could test it out on our systems to see if it behaves any differently.

Finally a call to Apple to find out whats going on.

good luck

regards

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - One other thing I just thought of. Try to import using iPhoto (if you have it) or with Image Capture to try and narrow down the problem to Aperture or the Raw CAmera bundle

Dec 19, 2011 4:13 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Well, I'm feeling kind of stupid because after doing some work in Aperture today, what I realized is that the ORF files DID import because in the metadata that is the kind of file I'm seeing. BUT Aperture is not importing the jpeg versions even though I have "import raw and jpeg" as the choice in the import menu. This is really confusing me. I tried importing some of the jpegs Aperture did not import simply by dragging and dropping them from the SD card into Aperture, and they loaded fine.

So there's still something screwy, but it's not the ORF files. For whatever reason, Aperture is not importing the jpegs.

Olympus E-P3 Raw Support Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.