Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any idea when Apple will lift the 25k track limitation?

I was looking forward to using iTunes Match but I just discovered that there is a 25k track limit on the size of matchable libraries. I have around 65k tracks and it is growing rapidly.

Essentially, unless Apple does away with ANY limitation on the size of libraries, I doubt I'll be able to use iTunes Match. My library will always keep growing and it would seem doubtful any limitation on library size will keep up with it. I'm assuming that this is part of their beta testing and that, eventually they will at least up the limit and hopefully will do away with it altogether. Perhaps they can create a different payment plan for those whose libraries require more storage on their servers.

I was looking forward to using iTunes Match both as a way of getting around the storage capacity limitations of my iPod/iPhone AND of creating an off-premises backup of my complete iTunes Library in case of multiple hard drive failure or theft. The song limitation is the only thing preventing me from doing these things -- I hope it is eliminated soon.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 2:58 PM

There is a work around for this issue, see the answer marked as correct in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3574614?answerId=17036423022#17036423022

If songs are matched by iTunes match they do not count towards your

25 000 song limit.

13 replies

Dec 18, 2011 3:03 PM in response to ardenus

Yes, I've seen the workaround but I really do not wish to break up my master iTunes Library (which is my only iTunes Library). I'd much rather just be able to use iTunes Match the normal way and have it scan and match my entire library. I'm guessing that there would only be around 10,000 tracks that wouldn't be matched (if that many even).

But I didn't spend years building the house to my specifications just to have to bust it all apart!😀

Dec 18, 2011 3:11 PM in response to robcar

Depending on your storage space internal or external you could make a copy of your itunes library, and use that copy as the one you reduce/split up, keeping one copy as a back up. If you are using time machine you will already have a back up of you iTunes music anywhay, but i would make another copy just to be on the safe side.

some times you have to knock a few walls down to get that extention on your house. 😁

Dec 18, 2011 3:17 PM in response to ardenus

Ha ha, very true!

I may attempt the library split at some point but it sure would be a lot easier if Apple would lift the limiation on the number of tracks; or offer another payment plan for the extra server storage for those of us with large libraries.

I think I will try to wait them out. Perhaps the 25k limitation was simply a start-up thing to avoid overwhelming their servers.

Dec 19, 2011 9:54 AM in response to ardenus

Thanks, but I really would like to avoid creating a second iTunes Library. I'd just like to keep the one with everything in it. There's not much benefit to using iTunes Match only on a subset of my library; as it is, that's how I copy music from my library to my iPod and iPhone -- selectively. I was hoping that iTunes Match would stream my ENTIRE library to all of my mobile devices so that I could avoid the process of manually syncing the selected music to each device based upon its storage capacity limitations. Unless I am allowed to do this, there's no benefit to using the service that I can see.

I think I'll just wait for Apple to lift the limit.

Oct 29, 2012 1:47 PM in response to robcar

After waiting almost a year to venture into the world of Match, I decided to create a second library to use exclusively for iTM. I only have 16K+ tracks in my library and pushed several chunks over several days. It's working well and I still have my primary master library that I still use to sync the Classic.

Any idea when Apple will lift the 25k track limitation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.