Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix: Windows XP with sluggish or hanging iTunes, no Store, Safari hang etc

Symptoms: iTunes would load but be painfully slow and the Store progress bar would hang at 50%. No Store.

Symptoms: Safari likewise would load but would hang at opening web pages and page would remain blank.

This has been a long haul. The origin of these problems was due to my machine, not Apple. After weeks of research I fell into thinking that everything Apple is doomed to fail. I want to share what worked for me on my PC. It may help you.

Background:

Safari ran fine on my XP SP3 system for a year or more. I tried the latest Safari - no go. I went back to an earlier Safari 5.04 - no go.

When I try to open web pages, the URL progress bar moves about 10% and hangs, IOW, the page stays blank. This happens across all web sites. All other bowsers work fine.

In the case of iTunes the Store would not load and like Safari, their progress bars hung around 10% and 50% respectively.

Solution:

For both Safari and iTunes, I noticed in Process Explorer that there were several MSVCR80.dlls that used about 50% CPU each. This pointed to the problem. I downloaded the most recent copy of MSVCR80.dll and when I tried to register it via Run (regsvr32 MSVCR80.dll) I got an error message that registration failed!

I then found out that MSVCR80.dll is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package x86 and downloaded the installer for it called vcredist_x86.exe.

If you own XP and are unfortunate enough to be caught in an Apple fault vortex and you've unsuccessfully tried the hundreds of other suggestions on the web, download a copy of vcredist_x86.exe and run the sucker. If you get a message offering to REPAIR the existing Visual C++ package, click Yes.

Voila!

All, and I mean all those energy-leeching Apple problems just went away! Both iTunes and Safari are now snappy, responsive, with no more lag and a functioning Store.

HTH

iPod nano, Windows XP, SP3

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 5:07 PM

There are no replies.

Fix: Windows XP with sluggish or hanging iTunes, no Store, Safari hang etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.