Skip navigation

Change the keyboard controls

744 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 10:50 PM by Chuck Taylor RSS
Timothy Arends1 Level 2 Level 2 (290 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 18, 2011 6:24 PM

Every time I get a new Mac, I change the keyboard controls so that Command-N creates a new folder instead of opening a new Finder window, but I can’t see how to do this in Lion. In the keyboard section of System Preferences, I see options on the left hand side for Launchpad & Dock, Display, Mission Control, Keyboard & Text Input, Screenshots and so on. I do not see a way to swap the keyboard shortcuts for creating a new folder and open a new Finder window.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (59,180 points)
    Dec 18, 2011 8:28 PM (in response to Timothy Arends1)

Select the + sign, choose the Finder, and try the setting.

27" i7 iMac 10.6.8 , Mac OS X (10.7.2), G4 450 MP 1.5 GB RAM w/(10.5.8/10.4.11/9.2.2)
  • Don Archibald Level 10 Level 10 (101,125 points)
    Dec 18, 2011 11:00 PM (in response to Timothy Arends1)

Try this in System Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts -

Select the item at the bottom of the list in the left pane, "Application Shortcuts".

Click the "+" button under the right pane.

In the new dropscreen, select "Finder" from the Application pulldown menu.

Enter New Folder in the Menu Title box.

Click in the Keyboard Shortcut box, then press Command-N

Click the Add button.

I haven't tried that, but in another instance a new shortcut did override an existing one.

• rzm2u Calculating status...
    Mar 10, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to Timothy Arends1)

10.6- I'm just adding here that the technique described by Don Archibald does still work with 10.6, but not until you've quit the Finder -- use Activity Monitor to force-quit the Finder or just re-start the computer.

• Chuck Taylor Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Jul 25, 2012 10:50 PM (in response to Timothy Arends1)

I just got a new MacBook Pro. I can verify that Don Archibold's instructions work on Lion 10.7.4. I added New Folder with ⌘N, then added New Finder Window with ⇧⌘N. I did like rzm2u suggested and used the Activity Monitor to force quit the Finder after each change, and it works perfectly. The actions show up with the correct command keys under File in the Finder. Will upgrade to Mountain Lion tomorrow, and if the settings don't stay, I'll try this modification again. (By the way, command-option-esc to force quit Finder did not work for me. Only quit process in Activity Monitor did the reset.)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.