Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod click wheel is not recognized by my computer or iTunes.

I get the ok to disconnect, apple icon, and www.apple.com/support/ipod screens cycling through. I bought it used and just installed a new (fully charged 1200mAh) battery. Any ideas or is it dead beyond resurrection?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPod classic, Windows XP, 4th gen click wheel

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 8:04 PM

You have a 4th gen Ipod. First reset the ipod , then put it in disk mode. then plug it back into computer. That second icon of the folder means it can't find an OS. You might have to take it apart to see if you have the hard drive seated correctly and the hard drive ribbon. If none of this works, uplug and restart it, hold you ear to it and listen to see if you hear a clicking or buzzing sound. If you do the hard drive is bad. To do a reset -toggle the hold switch on the end by the screen then press and hold the center button and the menue button at the same time-then as soon as the apple comes up - press and hold the center button and the botton of the click wheel, disk mode should come up. Plug back in and see if it comes up in itunes do a restore. The bottom of the click wheel is play- pause. It's also what you hold to shut it down.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2011 8:04 PM in response to Jeff-57

You have a 4th gen Ipod. First reset the ipod , then put it in disk mode. then plug it back into computer. That second icon of the folder means it can't find an OS. You might have to take it apart to see if you have the hard drive seated correctly and the hard drive ribbon. If none of this works, uplug and restart it, hold you ear to it and listen to see if you hear a clicking or buzzing sound. If you do the hard drive is bad. To do a reset -toggle the hold switch on the end by the screen then press and hold the center button and the menue button at the same time-then as soon as the apple comes up - press and hold the center button and the botton of the click wheel, disk mode should come up. Plug back in and see if it comes up in itunes do a restore. The bottom of the click wheel is play- pause. It's also what you hold to shut it down.

My iPod click wheel is not recognized by my computer or iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.