Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro 17" 2006 version won't pick wireless signal with Airport update 7.5.2 and later.

My 2006 old 17" Mac Book pro is won't connect to Airport Extreme older version with update 7.5.2 and also with 7.6.2. In fact if I implement that update airport extreme will transmit over channel 100 which my Mac pro is unable to pick. Any advise ?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Wireless card

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 12:01 AM

6 replies

Dec 19, 2011 5:51 AM in response to Milanoitalia

The Mac Pro is a desktop machine. But since you said 17" we know you mean 17" notebook. Certain 17" MacBook Pros required an 802.11n patch update to be compatible with the latest wireless. Older ones needed an Express/34 or ethernet 802.11n adapter to work with 802.11n networks that didn't drop down to 802.11g. Find out if your machine qualified for this update:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D4141ZM/A

Dec 19, 2011 8:57 AM in response to a brody

Thanks "a brody" ! Now I know I am talking to someone who knows the problem; I have checked with the site you advised me and I can tell you that my 17"MacBokk Pro (I am sorry for the mistake on first message) is one of them; in fact I have purchased that Airport Extreme 802.11n Enabler. However I forgot to tell you that my Airport Extreme base is transmitting at 5Ghz with the n protocol and my MacBook Pro has been working very well utill I tryed to update the Airport base to that 7.5.2 version: at that point my MacBook has never been able to pick the signal any more unless going backward to 7.4.2. In doing some experiments, I have found that with version 7.4.2, my Mac was picking the 5Ghz signal at channel # 44, instead, with the update 7.5.2 and later, the base started to transmit to channel # 100 and it looks like my MacBook is unable to go over the 44 channel ! (one more thing: my Mac has Leopard 10.5.8 OS). I have tryed to change the channel in the Airport base back to # 44, but my model (my Airport Extreme base is not the last model) do not allow to change the channel selection to "manual": there is only one selection "automatic". This is why I tryed to see if my Airport Extreme card (Wireless card firmware version 1.4.16.2) was not fit to received and transmit data on channels over 44.

If you have any idea that will be greatly appreciated; any how thank you very much for your time and help.

Dec 19, 2011 9:32 AM in response to a brody

Yes; in fact, following Apple advise in the specific site where you can purchase the 802.11n Enabler, I have checked in the Network Utility program in my Mac under Network Interface (en1) and you can see below "Model Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g/n): according to Apple that means you have installed the Enabler. They also say that before doing that installation you have to install what they call "Äirport Extreme Update 2007-002" : that I cannot tell if I have installed it ! Do you advise to reinstall both ? I may have to pay $1.99 but if it is the only solution I will do it.

Thank you again for your time and help.

Dec 19, 2011 9:36 AM in response to Milanoitalia

That security update should already be installed. It was installed as part of 10.4.9 combo and higher. I can tell that because it was released on:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2182

while requiring 10.4.8. Since your profile says you are running 10.7, you are well beyond the requirement for that update. Something else is the problem. Are there any non-802.11n devices connected?

Mac Book Pro 17" 2006 version won't pick wireless signal with Airport update 7.5.2 and later.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.