Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Close all the open Application in one-shot ?

Is there are any way to close all the open application in one shot in ipad rather than double-click the home button and close the apps one by one.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:46 AM

25 replies

Dec 20, 2011 2:49 AM in response to iVino

There is a neat app called "Process Killer" that allows you to close all unused processes in one step. It closes all apps except MobileMe and the app itself (of course...).

It frees up a lot of memory when I use it, so it appears that apps open in the background actually takes up some valuable memory. I don't know if it affects the power consumption though...

Dec 20, 2011 5:27 AM in response to per184

Do you mean this? The product description does not say that it kills processes - it shows you what background are open and (in it's own words) "'kills' with it's simplicity." The 1-star reviews make it pretty clear that it does not kill open apps.

Not only does it not kill processes, but the developer doesn't know the difference between it's and its. 😁

Dec 20, 2011 7:47 AM in response to iVino

PogoPossum,

I don't know what the reviews are based on or how valid they are. I used the app and I have no problems with it. It frees up a lot of memory, which is what it claims to do.

If I look at memory usage before and after I let the app "kill" processes (or whatever it really does) I see a huge difference and I also note that both my iPad and iPhone works faster afterwards.

One review says that apps are still visible as "running" and possible to swap to by double-clicking the start button... but does that really indicate that the processes are still running or that does it simply provide you with a shortcut to start the app again? I don't know.

All I know is that memeory is freed up and that's what I wanted... Memory freed up indicates that less processes are running, I don't have any other explanation.

Dec 20, 2011 7:59 AM in response to per184

As I said to iVino earlier, why do you believe this to be useful? Apps running in the background are not actually running in the same sense as in a true multitasking OS (which iOS is not). They are not using any processor time or battery power, with a few specific exceptions. (For example, location services can be active in the background.)

Similarly, iOS does not need you to manage memory. When memory is full and more is needed, an inactive app is closed to free that memory. Closing apps manually to free memory will not hurt anything, but it's also unnecessary.

I never close any of my apps, except for my GPS software, and I don't have speed problems, memory problems or battery problems. This has been personally observed by me with first and second generation iPod Touches, an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2.

Dec 20, 2011 8:50 AM in response to thomas_r.

In principle, I agree with you...

But it appears that reality is not perfect. I observed on iPhone 3 that memory could be pretty clogged from time to time and I needed to restart it to free up memory and get it back to original speed again. It all depends on which apps you are running. Some appears to eat more memory than others. On iPhone 4, it appears to be less of a problem and I have seen that later iOS releases also makes this less of a problem. I only have a first generation iPad, but I have seen that later iOS releases have improved memory handling significantly there as well. However, it appears to be a good idea to reboot the device after a week or two just to flush the memory. I can't prove this theory scientifically, but I do see a difference in memory usage when doing this.

The reason I actually tried "Process Killer" was a tip that it addressed the problems many of us encountered with the first iOS 5 release: frequent crashes and slow performance. After the pretty quickly released iOS 5 update, that wes pretty much solved, but occasionally killing processes actually helped me at that point, It made both my devices more stable.

The original question was about battery performance, there I don't think that the amount of processes running is the key. A much better way of getting more out of your battery is shutting off location services in apps where they are not really needed. I would guess that turning off push notofications for as many apps as possible helps as well.

Also, turn off the Personal Hotspot on iPhone when it's not needed!

Close all the open Application in one-shot ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.