Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes freeze after few seconds

After updating iTunes to 10.5.2 (x64) it freezes after several seconds.

This is happening all the time.

I tried to reinstall it - not helped.

Please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Alexander.

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 5:43 AM

6 replies

Dec 19, 2011 6:08 AM in response to Alexander Z.

I had the same problem with the last version. Updating now to the newest hoping it would resolve this, but it seems it may not if you are having the same issue. I, too, am running Windows 7 (64 bit) and downloaded the 64 bit version.

I checked to see if it was running it, but the shortcut links to the 32 bit side with only the miniplayer showing on the 64 bit programs directory. Hmmmmm.

Dec 19, 2011 7:18 AM in response to wiclee

Unless plugins are pre-installed with iTunes, I have not specifically installed anything additional, but have not tried that yet.

Have not manipulated time/date for rental movies (I do not watch rental movies with iTuens).

I did find in another discussion it may be related to Windows 7 and SP1. I checked and I am not running SP1 at all so I am downloading the full version of that as well. I will upgrade to SP1 from the download (I refuse to allow piecemeal updates from Microsoft because I am not going to be their beta tester. They don't always fully test their "fixes" and the folks who get the updates are typically left to deal with the aftermath on their own). I can update from downloads. I don't run IE (which is another hacker magnet).

I do keep a great firewall and antivirus/malware program running to reduce the chances of problems from that quarter.

Right now I am going to try updating Windows to SP1 and the latest version of iTunes (although the version I am running is 10.5.1.42 and not that old). I will post here the results of that.

Question with making a new user. If I do that, what happens to everything I purchased under the old user? Do I lose everything if it turns out that is the problem? Would not be happy with that....

Thank you for the reply.

Dec 20, 2011 6:49 AM in response to kites0852

Here is what seems to have worked for me.

Click on your Windows Start button (lower left corner). Look for COMPUTER in the menu. Right Click PROPERTIES.

In the View Basic Information about your computer, it will tell you what version and type of Windows you are running. I.E. Windows 7 Ultimate. Directly beneath that it may say Service Pack 1.

If you allow automatic updates, that may be the problem. I do not. When I initially checked it did not say SP1.

I downloaded the complete SP1 package from Microsoft appropriate for my version and type of Windows and installed it.

I then upgraded to the latest version of iTunes.

So far, this seems to have resolved my freezing issues. Time will tell.

With this, you should not need to start in safe mode.

If starting in Safe Mode resolves the problem, the next step would be to see what, in iTunes is not loading and disable or remove that plugin to allow for normal starting of iTunes without freezes.

Dec 31, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Alexander Z.

I had this issue and was able to spot the problem on my computer.

Issue: All of a sudden, I got the issue that iTunes freezes, i.e. it became irresponsive and brought up screens only minutes after I invoked them. For example, this happened to me. each time when I open "Edit - Preferences".

To fix the issue, I removed all "Apple" related programs from my computer (iTunes, Quicktime, Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, Quicktime [from an earlier iTunes installation]...) and reinstalled the latest iTunes binaries. Unfortunately it did not help (but I think this was a good move, as it has uninstalled outdated programs - such as Quicktime - and re-enabled all services that iTunes needs to feel comfortable).

The root cause turned out to be an SD card, which was inserted in the card slot of my notebook. As soon as I had it ejected, iTunes went back to normal response times.

Thought I'd let you know.

iTunes freeze after few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.