12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 6:35 AM by keg55
aRKay Level 2 Level 2 (205 points)

I could use some advice on the best way to archive my 2011 OS X Mail messages to be able to start over with a  clean setup for 2012.  Like Windows, I don't do Cloud computing so have no interest in using iCloud to archive Mail.

i just would like ro save my Inbox and Sent mail and be able to open them when, and if, every needed.

iMac, MacBook Pro and iPad2, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • 1. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,745 points)

This app is great for this and a lot more...

http://c-command.com/eaglefiler/

No connection with the App, the Developer or any interest whatever, just a very happy user.

Regards

TD

• 2. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages
    keg55 Level 5 Level 5 (5,925 points)

I create New Mailboxes for stuff I want to archive. For example, a new mailbox for '2011 Archive' and move all the emails I wish to keep in there. I try like to keep things very simple.

• 3. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages

Hi Terence,

I checked out Eagle Filer and it may work but I would rather not get involved with a commercial app. I would just like to be able to zip the old mail and start over with a clean Mail setup for 2012.

BTW, I still use your very cool automator scripts to add items to the Service menu in Mail. Thanks again

• 4. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages

> I create New Mailboxes for stuff I want to archive. For example, a new  mailbox for '2011 Archive' and move all the emails I wish to keep in there. I try like to keep things very simple.

Keg55,

I like your suggestion but I am not sure how to implement the idea.  How do you create a new 2011 Archived mailbox and not have it part of the current Mail database?

My 2011 mailbox is pretty big and I feel I need to start over with clean mailbox.

• 5. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages

Open Mail.

Click on Mailbox then New Mailbox and select the location of 'On my Mac'.

Now you can move anything to that new mailbox and it's saved on your Mac. You'll see it in your list of Mailboxes when you 'Show' them. You can export it and do whatever you want just like InBox or Sent or Drafts, etc.

I have a 'Save Old Emails' mailbox that I put emails I want to save and control. I keep receipts, emails from friends, etc. It happens to contain emails from several years.

• 6. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages
    Rob Gendreau Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

keg55's advice is the best way to go, barring a dedicated mail archiver (I can recommend Mail Steward).

The emails remain part of the database, which shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the performance of mail. They're already indexed so that way you can easily view them if you need to. If you export them you may have to import them again to find anything you're looking for, unless you have another application that can read them.

Just make sure they're stored locally; that's what "On My Mac" is for.

Rob

• 7. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages

>Click on Mailbox then New Mailbox and select the location of 'On my Mac'.Now you can move anything to that new mailbox and it's saved on your Mac

Keg,

I like your tip and have created a new mailbox called 2011 Archived. On 31-Dec-2011 I would like to be able to copy my Inbox and Sent items to the new mailbox but it not clear to me hon how to create a new clean Inbox and Sent items

As you can tell from my comments I am not sure how to get old mail into to the new mailbox and created a fresh Inbox and Sent items for the new year.

• 8. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages
    Ziatron Level 4 Level 4 (3,265 points)
    i just would like ro save my Inbox and Sent mail and be able to open them when, and if, every needed.

This is a good idea.   That way if you're ever involved in any legal proceedings someone can always go through your e-mails to clarify the situation.

• 9. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages

Open your Inbox.

Edit -> Select All.

Then, Message -> Move To and select your new mailbox.

Do the same to your Sent mailbox.

• 10. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages

My Mail is now so screwed up I may have to trash it all and start over. How is the best way to use the Time Machine to restore Mail to the way it was before I started messing with it.

What specific file or folder should I restore?

• 11. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages

I used the Time Machine to restort the usr/Library/Mail follder from the last backup and

the same screwed up mail is displayed. I need help on how to restore Mail form the Time

Machine. The datebase of account must be stored in another folder

• 12. Re: Best way to archive 2011 Mail Messages

Before going into Time Machine, open Finder and click Go. Hold the Options key down and you'll see your Library folder. Select it. When that folder opens, click and drag the Library icon at the top of the Finder window to your Sidebar so it shows up in the list. Now, open Time Machine and navigate to your ~/Library/Mail folder for whatever backup you want and restore the Mail folder.