Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Vertical Layout Orientation in TextEdit so slow?

So I've been using TextEdit ALOT recently (I recently started an online Japanese class at school, and I've been self studying Japanese sine ~March this year, so I've been blowing through the assignments in Japanese 1A. This is honestly probably my first time using TextEdit so much on a daily basis. Anyways, Lion introduced an option for Vertical Layout Orientation, and I've been using it alot, as in Japan, while not the only layout used in writing, it vertical is one of them, so I've been trying to get used to it. Horizontal layout runs perfectly fine, I can see the cursor move as I press an arrow button; but in Vertical layout, everything takes ~2/3 times longer. When I hit an arrow key, it takes nearly a second for the cursor to move, and while using Kotoeri (Kana/Kanji input) the speed is practically unbearable. Once again, horizontal works fine, vertical is painfully slow (maybe just because vertical layout is a new feature?). Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Bootcamp

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 10:16 AM

6 replies

Dec 19, 2011 11:00 AM in response to Evanjs

I do not use Japanese, but I cannot confirm that TE is slow when in any position. Perhaps this is a topic of Apple feedback (Apple Bug Reporter), if you assume this is correct. On the other hand, perhaps other users of Japanese in Mac OS X may help.

If you are not satisfied with TextEdit, you may test other two wonderful word processors, Nisus and Mellel, both work on shareware basis (test before you buy), if you are satisfied, buy the one you like and / is appropriate for your work. TE is a simple editor far basic work and even for programming, not for word processing in its full sense. You may also test the free OpenOffice and, of course, MS Office.

Dec 19, 2011 12:21 PM in response to Cattus Thraex

Cattus Thraex wrote:

If you are not satisfied with TextEdit, you may test other two wonderful word processors, Nisus and Mellel

Unfortunately it is not common to find the vertical layout used in Chinese/Japanese in a word processor -- Nisus, Mellel, and Pages do not have this feature. I think only MS Word, iText, and Jedit X can handle it, plus the latest TextEdit.

Dec 19, 2011 12:34 PM in response to Evanjs

Evanjs wrote:

in Vertical layout, everything takes ~2/3 times longer. When I hit an arrow key, it takes nearly a second for the cursor to move, and while using Kotoeri (Kana/Kanji input) the speed is practically unbearable.

I only know a couple words of Japanese, but when I tried typing both english and japanese text in vertical format in TextEdit it seemed just as fast as horizontal, I could not see any lags. Are you using any unusual fonts, or just those supplied with OS X?

PS You might want to ask whether anyone typing Chinese has had similar problems on the Chinese Mac list:

http://groups.google.com/group/chinesemac/

Dec 19, 2011 1:17 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I'm using an Apple supplied font (Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro (Japanese Font)) as listed here (Cmd/Ctrl+F Hiragino). The Hiragino are the only fonts I've used so far and I remember TextEdit working like normal (As you've said yours has been working) a few days ago, but, like I said, now it's started to run pretty slow with vertical layout enabled.

EDIT: Well, I guess TextEdit hates spaces. I removed all the spaces (the only reason I was using spaces in the first place was because this is a speaking assignment and It's easier to seperate each segment), and it runs at normal speed once again. I guess I'll file a bug report for the spaces in TextEdit in vertical layout (And yes I tried spaces in Vertical with English too, still unbearably slow). What I noticed is that the performance slowdown builds up, it starts getting slow after the first space or two but then makes a dramatic differenc in speed as more spaces are added. Thanks everyone for the help.

Why is Vertical Layout Orientation in TextEdit so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.