Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any concerns with a 5th HDD in 2nd optical bay?

I'm thinking of adding a fifth hard disk drive to my Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core (Mid 2010) "Nehalem" machine. I'll use if for storing audio sample libraries, some of which will be used in streaming playback. Are there any special concerns or considerations I need to accommodate?

(I know I'll need an adapter. I'm planning to use OWC's Multi-Mount® adapter.)

Thanks!

MPQuad-Core2.8GHz,10GB,23"CinemaHD-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacBook Pro 17"; 10.6.8; 2GB RAM

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 10:47 AM

1 reply

Dec 19, 2011 11:16 AM in response to freevito

Should not be a problem but I would install a temperature monitor utility just to keep an eye on things. OWC is a fine choice. Depending on just how large a drive you need you might want to also consider a SSD. For those you could just let lay in there without mounting an adapter although adapters are sold for them too.

Note, from what I read 3TB drives run relatively "hot" so you might want to avoid putting those in there. Not sure about Western Digital 3TB "green" drives though.

Any concerns with a 5th HDD in 2nd optical bay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.