Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Communication error has occurred - Canon PIXMA printer

This was driving me nuts! I tried many of the other ideas offered in these discussions, but nothing worked. Sometimes my Canon PIXMA MP640 WiFi printer would work, usually it wouldn't. I would get "A communication error has occurred" message on my MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard) and the print job would just stay in the queue until I deleted it. Most of the time I needed to re-enter the network password at the printer BEFORE EVERY PRINT JOB which was a pain because the password was 10 characters long and I could only dial in each letter one at a time.

If you are having similar trouble, before you do anything CHECK THE WIFI SIGNAL STRENGTH USING THE PRINTER MENUS! On my model, this was done by going from the Home menu to Settings->Device Settings->LAN Settings->Confirm LAN settings->Print LAN Details. If the signal strength on the printout shows less than 50%, there is too much interference from other electronics in the area (or the printer is too far from the router). In my case, the printer was in the next room, i.e., not too far from the router so I knew it had to be EM interference.

At first, my signal strength was showing 36%. Then I moved the printer into the same room as the wifi router, within 7ft and directly in line of sight of it and it went to 62%. I thought it should be much higher, so I moved the printer to within 4ft and it went to 80%. Then I unplugged the LCD TV (which was NOT turned on at any time) that was on the counter nearby, and it jumped to 90%.

After months of poking at this problem and finally resigning to the idea that the printer was broken, I tried this and now it works perfectly as long as the TV is unplugged. I plan on moving the router away from the TV so I won't have to unplug it whenever I print.

Hope this helps!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Re: Wifi connection Canon printer

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:44 PM

3 replies

Jan 28, 2013 6:53 AM in response to lmonaco421

I've wrestled with this off and on with this printer ever since I got it. Just checked and my signal was at 44%. Guess that could be it!... guess I'll do some relocating of the router, boost the signal or run an ethernet line. Never though the signal being that low would cause this many print errors.

I thought is was just happening when the printer would go to sleep... or not used for a few days.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2013 3:51 PM in response to lmonaco421

This has been a problem for me ever since I installed this printer. Previously my son used it at college and told me had problems with it. I was sure I could make it work, and it would work pretty well sometimes and terribly other times. After browsing all the input, I saw reference to weak wifi signal, so since I am not smart enough to fiddle with router settings, I moved the printer closer to the router. Eureka! It is printing flawlessly!

Communication error has occurred - Canon PIXMA printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.