Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting this error in the SMTP logs, What's wrong?

I keep getting this error in SMTP, and for some reason the server is unable to send messages. It's a fresh setup, so i'm not sure what i'm missing..

fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter myhostname: bad parameter value: mini.socialgraphics.com.

Any advice would help, Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), IT Manager for an Ad Agency

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 3:04 PM

Is that trailing dot actually in the myhostname parameter? if so, nix it. That's the only thing that stands out to me.

6 replies

Dec 19, 2011 3:13 PM in response to Camelot

ok, now i can send messages from the server's webmail, Thanks!

Now, when i send messages they come through as user@www.socialgraphics.com

I need it of course to only be user@socialgraphics.com

How do i get rid of that www? in the domain. it's odd. the domain is only socialgraphics.com and the FQDN is mini.socialgraphics.com. How do i get rid of the www in all newly created users? Where is it getting that from?

Riught now there's only me, so changing the server won't affect multiple users...

Dec 20, 2011 2:50 PM in response to Camelot

It's just a simple Mac Mini running 10.6.8 Server running DNS, Mail, FTP, WEB, and AFS. Name is mini, and domain is socialgraphics.com

Domain is registered with Google, and the MX record is mini.socialgraphics.com

and A record points to it's IP. Internet is Comcast Business Class with a static IP. It should be simple. In the late '90's I used to run a win2000 box with Exchange from home, but I have not ran a server in 10 years. I don't remember it being this wierd to set up.

Just a simple server running mail with the domain socialgraphics.com and 5 user accounts with the address user@socialgraphics.com

Dec 20, 2011 3:02 PM in response to Camelot

From the server's webmail interface i can log in and send messages to outside accounts.

But i can't recieve any messages on the server, everything i send to the server gets a error of:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

robert@socialgraphics.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <robert@socialgraphics.com>: Relay access denied (state 14).

I keep getting this error in the SMTP logs, What's wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.