Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have many photos attached to emails. I am trying to find a simple way to automatically go through all my emails and copy the attached photos to iPhoto. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have many photos attached to emails. I am trying to find a simple way to automatically go through all my emails and copy the attached photos to iPhoto. Does anyone have any ideas?

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 7:36 PM

Give this a try:

Create a new Automator Workflow.

Drag in a Get Selected Mail Items action. Set it for Messages (default).

Drag in a Get Attachments from Mail Messages action. From the Save Attachment In dropdown, select Other and type ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/ into the dialog. Select Go. That will take you into the iPhoto Library folder. Select the Auto Import folder and click Choose.

Save the workflow.

Open Mail and select all the messages you think have photos attached.

Run the workflow by clicking on the Run button. It should go through each message and copy all the attachments to the Auto Import folder. When done, open iPhoto and it will import all the photos in that folder. You may have to go into the folder afterward and delete anything that was not a photo. I'm not sure if it will skip those on its own, though.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2011 7:36 PM in response to guy toronto

Give this a try:

Create a new Automator Workflow.

Drag in a Get Selected Mail Items action. Set it for Messages (default).

Drag in a Get Attachments from Mail Messages action. From the Save Attachment In dropdown, select Other and type ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/ into the dialog. Select Go. That will take you into the iPhoto Library folder. Select the Auto Import folder and click Choose.

Save the workflow.

Open Mail and select all the messages you think have photos attached.

Run the workflow by clicking on the Run button. It should go through each message and copy all the attachments to the Auto Import folder. When done, open iPhoto and it will import all the photos in that folder. You may have to go into the folder afterward and delete anything that was not a photo. I'm not sure if it will skip those on its own, though.

Dec 20, 2011 9:34 AM in response to guy toronto

Thanks Barney. I had never used Automator before and it was indeed the way to go. I did make some small changes though...

- I created a sub-folder in Pictures and used this new sub-folder for the Save Attachment function.

- I then used the Import Files into iPhoto, creating a new album in the process.

Worked like a charm. As you expected, all attachments - not just pictures - ended up in the newly created 'source' sub-folder. But that was no big deal - simply erased everything.

The only surprise is that I ended up with lots of logos in my album. Never really paid attention to the fact that many companies attach a jpg file with their logo!

Appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.