You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My TV doesn't support HDCP - so is my Apple TV a hockey puck since I can't watch anything on iTunes or Netflix?

I've an old Panasonic 37" CRT TV. It was made in 2003. It doesn't have HDMI, only DVI. Unfortunately, the TV doesn't support HDCP, so I appear to be screwed ... when I hook the Apple TV up to the TV, using an Apple HDMI cable, and a DVI<->HDMI adapter that claims to be HDCP compatible, I get HDCP authentication errors from Netflix, and just errors with iTunes, even if I'm just trying to watch a trailer. I think I'm screwed, since I seem to remember that for HDCP you need three things - a compliant source (the Apple TV), a compliant cable (the Apple HDMI cable) and a compliant TV, which mine clearly isn't. 😠

I'm pretty sure this means that the little beastie is going to be going back to the local Apple Retail Store tomorrow. I've even checked if I jailbreak the thing if there's a way for me to get round the HDCP requirement, but I can't find anything that states it will - Seas0npass would presumably let me Jailbreak it, but aTV Flash doesn't seem to get around it from what I've read, and nor will the Apple TV port of xbmc.

I'm pretty bummed to be honest - I can't see anything in the literature about you needing a totally HDCP compliant setup, and I've not come across this as a problem with other devices - my XBox 360 plays Netflix (and Hulu Plus) very happily through component, but I can't connect the Apple TV via component. I think I see a Roku in my future, which I'm not really ecstatic about. 😠

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 10:06 PM

10 replies

Dec 20, 2011 5:55 AM in response to MerrymanLyon

I had the same issue when I bought my son an apple tv and discovered he has an older tv without hdmi, but WAS ABLE TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE! You need to buy an HDMI to RCA converter. I got the HDMI to 5 RCA because he has the 5 red, green, blue video w/ red &amp; white audio inputs, if you only have three inputs, red,white and yellow you can get the HDMI to RCA 3 converter. I got the converter on Amazon for around $35.00. It works like a charm! This is the one I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002WBOQPU/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=132 4389131&sr=8-1&condition=new Hope this helps as both my son and I are extremely happy that he can use the Apple tv with his older TV.

Dec 20, 2011 7:03 AM in response to MerrymanLyon

There are hardware converters that will convert HDMI to various other types of output, however there are some issues with doing so that you should be aware of.

HDCP

HDCP compliant converters will not allow you to watch HDCP protected content such as that from the iTunes Store. Non compliant converters exist but we cannot discuss them under the Terms of Use for these communities.

Resolution and aspect ratio

I'm not aware of any converters that will scale the output from the Apple TV, any TV or projector which is used will need to be widescreen and support resolutions of 720p.

To be fair to Apple here, they do make it clear in the requirements that it needs an HDMI TV, I know that might not be particularly helpful but it's there nontheless.

Dec 20, 2011 7:47 AM in response to Winston Churchill

It was actually Apple Support that told me about the HDMI to RCA converter. If you look at the reviews for the converter, everyone that bought the converter to get apple tv to work on older televisions has had success. Even people with televisions 10+ years old and CRT's. My son has been able to use every aspect of the Apple TV without issue. It converts the HDMI signal down to composite from what I understand and that is why it works. Sorry if I'm not using the right terminology here but I'm not a tv tech. Just a mom who 's son lives 3000 miles away and we can now face time on our TV's with iPhones and iPads on an old television via apple tv.

Dec 20, 2011 9:17 AM in response to pcsmarts

I think most of us are aware such things exist, the point being we aren't supposed to discuss them.

From the terms of use:

8. Keep within the Law

• No material may be submitted that is intended to promote or commit an illegal act.
  • Do not submit software or descriptions of processes that break or otherwise ‘work around’ digital rights management software or hardware. This includes conversations about ‘ripping’ DVDs or working around FairPlay software used on the iTunes Store.
  • Dec 20, 2011 9:52 AM in response to robertfromauckland new zealand

I considered that, but there's no way it'll get past the girlfriend - "Darling, I need to buy a new TV because the $99 Apple TV doesn't want to work with it" 😉 and frankly, the TV works absolutely fine with everything else. It's certainly on the list for "do this at some point in the future" but at the moment other financial obligations take precendent.

My TV doesn't support HDCP - so is my Apple TV a hockey puck since I can't watch anything on iTunes or Netflix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.