Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to program Automator to delete all Safari preview images?

I am always going into the ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.safari/Webpage Previews folder, selecting all, and deleting these insane amounts of images. I thought it'd be nice to have a shortcut key to do this for me from now on. I opened up Automator, found the folder, but couldn't find a Select All action and just sort of didn't know what to do.

Any advice?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz 2GB

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 12:20 AM

Hi, I rarely use Safari, but if this is like the silly Top Sites thing, see if this thread helps...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2530139?start=0&tstart=0

5 replies

Dec 20, 2011 11:53 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello, thanks for the link. I actually found that thread a month or so ago (there's another thread linked in there as well) and tried the Terminal commands to disable Top Sites or, somewhat unrelated to Top Sites, to disable the website snapshots. (Edit: oh, and none of this worked.)

My only recourse would be to use Automator, if it's possible, to simply select all files in a certain folder and delete them. It's almost completely unrelated to Safari in a way because I could also use this technique to delete all files in a folder full of rough drafts and pre-edited images that I would always empty out at some point also.

So anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks so much!!

Dec 20, 2011 1:51 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua, locking the folder works, but according to the thread you linked (again, I'd read this earlier, so I remembered someone mentioning it), instead of webpage preview snapshots, you'll simply get a ton of errors logged somewhere.

However, in that thread, steko wrote:

Quit Safari & unlock the "Webpage Previews" folder again.

Open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) & paste:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSnapshotsUpdatePolicy -int 2

I must have done something wrong the first time around. I tried it again (never hurts) and after rebooting Safari, I'm not getting any webpage snapshots. At least, not for now.

So you actually answered my question perfectly the first time. Thanks so much for your help! Stillllllllll if anyone swings by and has an Automator answer, that'd be great too!

How to program Automator to delete all Safari preview images?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.