Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eSATA External HDD only recognised once per port per restart

I've installed MaxPower eSata 6G PCIe2.0 card into my Xserve2,1

I have a VANTEC NexStar Hard Drive Dock connected to this.

I have 3 x 3TB HDD's. I copy files to this one HDD at a time and rotate the drives every week for Offsite backups.

Issue is: HDD works fine - recognised in Disk Utility, mounts automatically.

When swapping drives, I unmount current drive and insert the next drive. This is NOT recognised - not mounted in Finder, doesn't show up in Disk Utility, can't find any reference to it in System Profiler.

I then unplug the eSATA cable from the first eSATA port into the second eSATA port - this works fine and HDD mounts automatically. Next week, try the same process, but now neither eSATA port works.

Restart and both work fine again, so it appears that a HDD can only be used on one eSATA port per restart. I don't want to restart my server every second time I swap a drive.

I have asked the company where I've bought the eSATA card from and they suggested a PRAM reset which I've done and which hasn't solved anything. Issue persists.

I have also disconnected eSATA card and reseated. Issue persists, plus it's probably a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

Tried with different hard drives - issue persists.

Tried with different HDD docks (although same model) - issue persists.

Had the issue for months and keen to resolve.

Any ideas? Tips on how to troubleshoot? Which CLI commands may give me relevant troubleshooting information?

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:24 PM

There are no replies.

eSATA External HDD only recognised once per port per restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.