Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying playlist to USB ?

Hi,

I wanted to copy a playlist that I have to a USB drive so that I can playback the songs in my car/other pc.

I tried to select all songs and drag them to the USB. However the order of the playlist is not retained.

So #1, is there a way to keep the order when copying ?

Also I then exported the playlist (.m3u) to the USB so that my car/other computer could just read the file and play the songs as they were organised in the playlist; however it cannot find the files as it seems the playlist keeps the default locations of the original files.

So how can I get this to work using iTunes (I am aware that there is 3rd party software that can do this; but surely Itunes can or else it is a load of rubbish) ?

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 3:49 AM

15 replies

Dec 20, 2011 4:06 AM in response to R.P.H

iTunes is designed to sync to Apple hardware, not third party devices.

It shouldn't be too hard to process the .m3u file to strip out all the path information leaving just the filenames so that the playlist will work if it is in the same folder as all the files. In fact I'll write up a script for that at some point later today.

tt2

Dec 21, 2011 1:36 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

Thanks so much !!!

I assume that the reason my playlist won't work on another pc is because it uses specific directories to locate my mp3's rather than local ones.

I take it that your script removes the beginning directories so that it will then work on any pc.

Is it possible for Itunes to export playlists with local directories rather than specific ones ? (Although I assume that it what the 3rd party software is used for).

Also, could you tell me how to manually change the directories to local ones if let's say I have music in subfolders rather than just loose ? How do you edit the .m3u file to do this ? The sub folders would be the default itunes way (artist - album - tracks).

Thanks

Dec 21, 2011 3:28 PM in response to R.P.H

An iTunes exported playlist gives the full path including drive letter to each file in the list. Last time I looked Winamp generates paths relative to the root of the drive, but omits the drive letter. The m3u specification allows for a mix of absolute paths and relative paths. The simplest form of relative path is a filename in the same folder as the m3u file, but you can also have tracks in subfolders referenced by <folder>\[<optionally more folders>\]<filename> or even use the ..\ form (optionally repeated) to refer to the parent folders of the one with the mu3 file.

You can't alter the way iTunes generates playlists. Also there isn't a way to change the way iTunes behaves if you drag files out to a folder, it always produces a flat folder rather than creating subfolders for artists & albums. If you're just trying to move some of your music from one of your computers to another, complete with playlists, then a quick search and replace in a decent text editor like Notepad++ is probably all you need to repair things. As it stands iTunes always doesn't import playlists with relative references properly which is why I ended up writing the ImportM3U script in response to an earlier thread.

tt2

Dec 22, 2011 8:46 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again !

Do you know if I could load the playlist into wmp and then export one (with relative directories) from there ?

Um, so what is the importM3u script for ?

And could you possibly make a script for if I have my tracks in folders (artist - album - track) as I am thinking of copying over my itunes music folder with my songs organised in the Itunes structure ? But I still want my playlist to work on the other pc.

I will have to try and learn to edit the .m3u file myself in the mean time.

Thanks so much again !!! 🙂

Dec 22, 2011 11:09 AM in response to R.P.H

ImportM3U takes an existing playlist generated by WMP or Winamp and imports it into iTunes, creating the new playlist and adding the files into it. I wrote it because a recent build of iTunes (10.4) stopped adding the tracks properly. This has been fixed but by that stage I'd included an additional feature to convert & add any .wma files which iTunes would normally ignore.

I've modified the LocaliseM3U script slightly and created a variation called RelativeM3U which preserves the Artist amd Album folders above the Filename. The converted file needs to be placed in the same folder as the Artist folders for it to work.

tt2

Dec 22, 2011 11:06 PM in response to R.P.H

Absolutely Fantastic !!! Thank-you so much 🙂

I have one last question. However if you do not want to reply again I will understand as you have already helped me more than I can say :

If I now were to import the relative playlist into Itunes on another pc; will Itunes update the existing playlist if I add new songs ? Or will it make it's own playlist based on that one embedded in the .xml library ? Also if I export the playlist and overwrite the relative one; the new playlist will have specific file locations right ? If for example; my Itunes is set to organize the music folder (ie. Put songs in folders : artist - album) automatically and I first add the playlist to my library; what will happen ? Will the songs (flat structure on usb) be automatically added to my library and placed in folders automatically to match Itunes structure along with the playlist's directories being changed ?

Thanks again; I am really starting to understand playlists better 😉

Dec 23, 2011 2:01 AM in response to R.P.H

iTunes stores all its playlists internally inside the file iTunes Library.itl. iTunes only accesses the M3U files when importing or exporting a playlist, otherwise they are completely ignored. If you edit the playlist in iTunes then you would need to export it again to update the M3U file, then treat it with the script to convert from absolute to relative paths. Offhand I can't recall if iTunes will work properly if your try to import a relatively referenced playlist. If not, ImportM3U should do it.

Note that when importing playlists there may be issues with filenames that contain certain accented characters. Sometimes these are not interpreted correctly in which case that entry in the playlist is ignored.

rr2

Aug 21, 2016 7:06 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello,

I have a similar issue with the export of iTunes playlists e.g. to USB sticks for use in the car. Your script LocaliseM3U is a great help in this respect. But would you be willing to make it even more flexible?

The current version of LocaliseM3U takes the M3U playlist and removes the iTunes paths from the MP3 files. (assuming the M3U file is located in the same folder as the MP3s)

But when you're dealing with a large number of MP3s it makes sense to have the playlists and the music files seperated from each other e.g. to store the MP3s in a separate subfolder. To support this concept could you maybe adapt LocaliseM3U so that it inserts the path of the MP3s in the localized playlist file? (rather than just removing the original iTunes paths)

Maybe the easiest way to do this would be that LocaliseMP3 takes the path of the M3U file that the user drops onto the script and inserts that (without driveletter) into each of the MP3 lines. That would allow the user to move the M3U file into the MP3 music folder at first (temporarily), then drop it onto LocaliseM3U from there, and move the localized version back to the original playlist folder (or root directory) on the device.

Would you be so kind to do this?

In any case, many thanks for your great support!

Copying playlist to USB ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.