7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2011 7:29 AM by varjak paw
hatrickpatrick Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

First of all, before anyone calls me a n00b, I DO understand why a 16GB (for example) drive is actually less, because manufacturers use decimal values when advertising, where as a gigabyte is actually measured in powers of two, giving 1024 megs.

My question is: If the *actual* measurement is agreed to be a power of two, as actually used and understood by operating systems and file systems, then why do we (and consumer laws) allow them to use phoney measurements to advertise their products?

Is this not akin to, for instance, advertising a flask as holding a litre of water, but we decide to interpret a litre as 700ml, which it simply isn't?

Why is this allowed? Why have the courts continued to allow it when it seems to me a very clear case of companies simply screwing their customers by using false mathematics?

Surely a gigabyte should be defined as a gigabyte one way or another and that definition should have to be used by everyone both in advertising AND in practise? See my litre comparison above - that would never be allowed, so why is this?