Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

permissions and ACL inheritance. user creates only rw------- permissions

This may be something really simple I'm missing, but I can't figure it out.

I have a network share created, and am using ACLs to manage permissions. There are two groups that have full control to "This folder, Child folders, Child files, all descendants" One group is for teachers, and the other is for students.

When a teacher copies a file into a folder that has ACLs for full control, the file is created with owner read write, and no access for groups and global, essentially, rw------- POSIX permissions.

Doing an ls -lae results in

-rw-------+ 1 userid staff 2022166 Dec 6 11:53 7100_collage-1.jpg

0: group:publications inherited allow read,write,execute,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecur ity,writesecurity,chown

1: group:teachers inherited allow read,write,execute,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecur ity,writesecurity,chown

(I changed the user's id to 'userid')

The one thing I'm wondering about is that this user is in both groups, but I would think that wouldn't matter.

The students who are in the publications group can not acess the file at all in finder. When they attempt to even read it, it gives a permissions error. From what I've read, ACLs go above POSIX permissions, so I'm having trouble figuring out why it isn't working.

Another thing I noticed, is that the POSIX group on the folder is admin, yet the file group is staff. I still have yet to do some research on this, but is that normal?

I've been fixing these by manually forcing permissions propagation in Server Admin, but it seems that isn't right.

Thanks to anyone who can help explain this.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 8:45 AM

There are no replies.

permissions and ACL inheritance. user creates only rw------- permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.