Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G5 "can not be fixed"??

Ok. Apple Store Techs says my PowerMac G5 Quad "can't be repaired". "Parts too expensive" or "Parts can't be found." or "Not worth repairing", etc. No back up because I couldn't find software for my old workhorse, so several questions that are burning in my appalled brain. First, my content definitely makes it worth repairing. So, any ideas on where I can personally search the parts if I find out what they need? Or should I try an older tech who might not be as dismissive of my "door stop"? Or can my one terrabyte second hard-drive be pulled and saved? I used it as storage. And finally, can the content of my regular HD be saved to another HD? Just a few little questions for the brilliant and intrepid among you. And I know you are out there, so no hiding! 😉

Perhaps naively hopeful, Kate

PowerMacG5 Quad, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 10:50 AM

Kate Porter wrote:

Ok. Apple Store Techs says my PowerMac G5 Quad "can't be repaired". "Parts too expensive" or "Parts can't be found." or "Not worth repairing", etc.

Translation: "We don't want to be bothered repairing a product that would keep you from buying our latest new products."

That's just the way it is. Now, we need to know some more specific information to help your navigating this mess. What general geographical location are you in? What seemed to be the problems with the machine (it may actually be something relatively simple)?

Now, as to hard drives, you can certainly pull those SATA drives and read them elsewhere in other Apple machines. You can also purchase a used machine, drop in the drives and possibly your video card and RAM and be on your way just fine. Or you can find an independent repair source (there are a few that will probably be recommended once your locale is known) who could get you through this situation. What you probably can't rely on is much help from the genius bar on these older machines; that's why we have this community of dinosaurs here ready to help.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2011 10:50 AM in response to Kate Porter

Kate Porter wrote:

Ok. Apple Store Techs says my PowerMac G5 Quad "can't be repaired". "Parts too expensive" or "Parts can't be found." or "Not worth repairing", etc.

Translation: "We don't want to be bothered repairing a product that would keep you from buying our latest new products."

That's just the way it is. Now, we need to know some more specific information to help your navigating this mess. What general geographical location are you in? What seemed to be the problems with the machine (it may actually be something relatively simple)?

Now, as to hard drives, you can certainly pull those SATA drives and read them elsewhere in other Apple machines. You can also purchase a used machine, drop in the drives and possibly your video card and RAM and be on your way just fine. Or you can find an independent repair source (there are a few that will probably be recommended once your locale is known) who could get you through this situation. What you probably can't rely on is much help from the genius bar on these older machines; that's why we have this community of dinosaurs here ready to help.

Dec 20, 2011 12:07 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

I think OCG's suggestion of of a Used G5 is good, prices have really fallen & it'd likely be cheaper than any repair.

Yeah. By the time you replace a logic board or CPU with a pulled unit, it's almost a wash these days. If "Old Faithsul" ever tanks on me, that will probably be my route.

BTW, I just did an uptime in Terminal and see that it has been 32.6 days since my last reboot. Hadn't thought about it much, but that is the kind of system longevity I wouldn't have dreamed of 20 years ago, unless one was talking VAX or Sun. I guess someone has been doing something right in Cupertino.

Dec 21, 2011 4:28 PM in response to Kate Porter

Re- keeping the data on the old HDD, In case there's anyone out there still working on this problem and the computer wasn't retreivable:

I've been cleaning up a lot of hard drives from computers that quit. The HDDs are from a very old PC (don't remember the vintage & it wasn't from my computer), and from a 4-yr old Intel Mac Pro 2.66 that seems to have died -more work to be done to confirm that part.

I've pulled all the HDDs, put a couple in external enclosures, and used a USB Universal Drive Adaptor to connect old PC drives to my MacBook.

I've been able to clean up all of them except one PC HDD that didn't mount.

I've connected any 2 of the cleaned-up drives to my MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and copied between the external drives w/o copying to the MacBook HDD, just between the external drives.

All external enclosures and the Universal Adaptor were from OWC (http://www.macsales.com/).

Also worked w/ other external HDDs w/ same results. This has all been an experiment and to retain info & programs from old drives. And to get my info off old drives. And now, of course, to use rescitated drives as externals.

Jan 4, 2012 5:54 PM in response to old comm guy

old comm guy says..."What general geographical location are you in? What seemed to be the problems with the machine (it may actually be something relatively simple)?"

Ahhh, from your lips to the Mac gods ears (if Mac gods have ears..) I'm about 2 hours from Los

Angeles. The symptoms that my sweet lil ol' G5 showed were:

1. Suddenly without warning,it seemed to go to sleep...and then it would turn back on about :30 secs later. I could find nothing in common with when it did this. It was random as far as I could see.

2. It wouldn't turn off. The only way I could turn it off was by holding down the on button for a bit.

3.One day it would not turn on and that's the day I wrapped her/him/it up into a fluffy blanket and (sobbing quietly) took her/him/it to the Mac hospital.

I am a very stupid person. (There I said it..) No back-up program. Dumb,dumb,dumb.( I berate myself here in the hope that EVERYONE reading this who does not have one, will immediately buy one. Now.)

Any hope, OCG? I'm grateful for any input...obviously. Sniff! Kate 😟

Mar 24, 2014 5:44 PM in response to Skorpan

Eeeks! What are the 'few simple tricks'? Mine died in a similar way a year or 2 ago and I've kept 'er around with the hopes one day I'd revive her, Frankenstein style, for all of my lost music...

Her death was sudden. I was watching a movie, suddenly she started making 'loud angry noises', froze and wouldn't restart, so I had to hold the power button. She hasn't come back on since.

Opened her up and she was a dusty, furry mess. (Had 2 cats.) Cleaned her out, but wasn't sure what else to do.

It was a souped up G5 from around 2006. Would have to look up all of the info given it was so long ago. It was built for video editing if that helps.

For some reason I was inspired to give it a go today and found this thread. Go figure last message was posted on my bday. ;o)

Looking forward to saying, 'IT'S ALIVE!' lol

Apr 24, 2014 7:56 AM in response to BDAqua

It's been years since my PowerMac G5 "passed away" and I'll be using the info that I was given back in '12, so thanks in advance for those who helped then. I do have a couple of questions though. I was advised to look inside to see if it was dirty. I live in a rural area and I have pets, so I'm certain it is, so I will start with cleaning her/him/it out. Is that going to be tricky? Or can I use one of those little electronic vacuums? And is it at all dangerous for me to do this or should I get it to a tech? (It's 70 lbs, so I hope I can do that at home.) Of course, I will not have it plugged in when I open it, but I've heard something about electronic items holding energy and it being dangerous for anyone but a technician to open it. That I would like to avoid if so. (Ya think?? 😝)

Thanks for any thoughts on this. Blessings, Kate

Power Mac G5 "can not be fixed"??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.