Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to have multiple trash cans or queues?

My work requires that I notify everyone any time I need to remove files from my editing computer, AND that I give them a few days of holding the files in the trash until I actually can delete them. This is so that sales people have the opportunity of alerting clients if they feel the need to do so. However, I move stuff to the trash many times throughout the day, making it difficult to remember which files have had notifications sent about them and which ones have not. I'd like to know if there is an app or a plugin that would allow me to have multiple trash queues, maybe one for each day, that may automatically remove the files after a few days. This way, I can send the files to a queue, send the notification, and let the queue do its thing. Does anyone know of such a feature?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 10:01 AM

Here's a place to start looking. i use a handy tool called Automaton that provides autotyping, clip management, trash, and filing features. Very handy all in one. But there are utilities strictly limited to Trash.

4 replies

Dec 20, 2011 11:06 AM in response to Beatus Mongous

Why don't you move the files to a network share, or put them in a folder and have a script automatically send out notifications and clean out old files. Automator could easily create a folder action so that when you put a file there, something happens (such as, someone get an e-mail). A script can check for files older than a certain age and remove them.

Also, keep in mind that if you use Time Machine, the files will persist after deletion for a time anyway.

That said, if this is a business environment, some better document managment should be used. For example, save the files on a network share and have the network take care of archiving old files or handling revisions.

Dec 22, 2011 1:07 PM in response to J D McIninch

Thanks, J D. I like your suggestion, however, I'm dealing with high-definition video files. Unfortunately, due to sheer file size, a network share just isn't a good option for my particular situation. However, I marked your response as helpful, because I believe it's a good suggestion for other people that may have the same question in a different situation.

Is it possible to have multiple trash cans or queues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.