Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off Facebook text messages?

Hello,

I really don't know where to ask this question, so I hope I'm posting it in the right location. I transitioned from the iPhone 3GS to the new iPhone 4S. On my older iPhone, I NEVER received text messages from Facebook (which is a good thing). However, now that I am using the 4S, I am constantly getting bombarded with text messages from Facebook. They are "notifications", ie, when someone posts to my wall or if someone responds to a comment that I made.

I don't know if this is something that is controlled from the Facebook web page (using Safari on my iMac), or if it is controlled from the Facebook app on my iPhone, or if it is controlled from "Settings" or "Notifications" on the iPhone. I have tried all of these places and turned everything off. All notifications for Facebook are in the "OFF" position. I am at my wit's end because this stupid thing is waking me up in the middle of the night with Facebook text messages.

If anyone can help me in finding out how to turn this feature off, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 2:02 PM

5 replies

Dec 20, 2011 2:39 PM in response to danbi84

No, the Facebook messages do not come through my messaging app. When my phone is asleep and locked, it will beep (the same sound as when receiving an SMS or iMessage), and the screen will turn on----on the screen, I will see the little blue Facebook icon along with the message itself. But it does not go through my messaging app. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

Dec 20, 2011 2:43 PM in response to smitty195

Of course you probably turned off facebook in the notifications under "settings"->"notifications" where everything else is controlled

however, have you scrolled all the way down in "settings" to the settings for the facebook application itself?

settings -> facebook

there you have more options for push notifications that may be getting through. you can turn those off too if you havent already

again:

settings-> facebook-> push notifications

let me know if you already knew that, or if that helps

Dec 20, 2011 2:50 PM in response to danbi84

Hmmm, there is one extra thing there that I did not see earlier. I have everything in the "Off" position EXCEPT for this one:

Settings -> Facebook -> Push Notifications

I somehow missed that one, and it was set to "On". I wonder if this is what the problem is? I just now turned it off. In the meantime, all of the others that you mentioned are off. Let's hope this new one solves the problem! I will report back what happens.

Dec 20, 2011 9:15 PM in response to danbi84

Okay, it has been a few hours and I have not had a single text message from Facebook. WHEW!!

It had to be your suggestion that fixed it. I don't know how I missed turning off that one notification, but I guess that's what did the trick. They have made this notification stuff a bit confusing, becasue there are multiple areas where you can go in and turn stuff on and offf, and you really can't tell what it is you're doing until it's too late.

Thanks again for your help. I will mark this question as "Answered".

🙂

How do I turn off Facebook text messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.