Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a Mac/PC still needed as a "hub" for iPad?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting rid of my home PC in favour of an iPad, as all I use it for is surfing the web. Do I still need a PC to be able to sync between my iPhone and iPad or can this all be done through the cloud now?

Tony

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 2:05 PM

3 replies

Dec 20, 2011 2:18 PM in response to tperry78

You do not absolutely have to have a computer any more in order to use an iDevice that is running iOS 5.

Just remember that if you buy movies for the iPad - you cannot download them again from iCloud - apps, music, TV shows, books - yes - but not movies.

So if you are a movie buff and want to buy a few and keep them on the iPad only - that is the chance to have to take if you do not sync with iTunes and something goes awry on the iPad.

If that is not an issue for you - then no - a PC is not required.

Dec 20, 2011 2:34 PM in response to tperry78

In addition to Demo's comments, I'd suggest keeping the PC if it still functions. There are some Flash-based web sites that the iPad can not access. Also, some sites detect the presence of a tablet-type device and present you with an abbreviated version of the normal site. Generally, this is not a major problem but all it takes is one important site to cause annoyance.

Finally (and I'm showing my personal prejudice here), there is something to knowing that you're storing your backups on your own personal physical device just in case the mysterious iCloud doesn't do its job.

Dec 20, 2011 3:12 PM in response to tperry78

I personally would never get rid of my computer to go solely iPad. I don't trust the cloud, my issue but I had it eat my contacts so I don't trust it. I also have issues with leaving my data in the hands of others. There are certain things that you just can't do on an iPad that you can on a computer, like others have said access to flash based sites. If you type a lot then the iPad may not be all that you could want. Not to mention the fact that many apps are far more limited than the full programs.

So YMMV but I would never give up everything and depend solely on the cloud and an iPad.

Is a Mac/PC still needed as a "hub" for iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.