Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I "broke" my macmail

I tried to attach a large file. Now I can't send/receive e-mail. It won't let me rebuild the mailbox. It appears that the same message w the offending large file keeps going to a recover file on my hard drive. I've tried to delete the offending message but it just starts sending it again. 8 copies have been sent in the last ten minutes. My hard drive is going to have a nervous breakdown and my mail won't work.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 3:34 PM

3 replies

Dec 20, 2011 4:33 PM in response to candicefromescondido

I doubt your computer will have a nervous breakdown. Since this forum is for the MacBook Pro hardware, you really should take your question either here for Lion or here for Snow Leopard. Some of the fixes are quite complicated.

As a suggestion, I rarely email large files, say anything larger than 10-20MB. There are several reasons. Some servers block attachments larger than certain sizes, many people are receiving attachments on smartphones with limited internet plans (see everything offered for the iPhone these days), and, as you can see, sometimes things just get messed up.

Good luck fixing it.

Dec 21, 2011 2:56 AM in response to candicefromescondido

candicefromescondido wrote:

I tried to attach a large file.

Bad form. For more than one reason.

8 copies have been sent in the last ten minutes.

What you describe doesn't make much sense.

Quit or force-quit Mail. Go to <~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Outbox.mbox/Messages/>. Locate your message+large file, delete it. Start Mail, select Outbox, choose Mailbox > Rebuild. And that should be that. Next time, be a good netizen and do not use mail to transfer large files -- there are plenty of alternatives.

I "broke" my macmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.