Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get a HD movie on to a DVD to use on a TV and keep the integrity of the video

I made a high quality movie in aperture which I exported to the desktop as a Quicktime movie. Then I created a One Step DVD from the movie. The movie is 12 gb and the disk and it plays well on a HD TV through an HDMI cable. I have been trying to export this movie to a DVD that can be played through a regular DVD player onto a tv. I am exporting to an 8+gb disk. There are 1028 files in the movie and for some reason there are two places for about 4 to 8 pictures each where the movie flickers or shakes. There also seems to be some electrical "noise " interferance as well. Is there some other way to make a HD movie onto a disk and still keep the integrity of the original movie? Hopefully someone has an answer. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), I am a new user on Apple.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 6:51 PM

A standard DVD can't do High Definition, thats why BluRay was invented. You can actually wind up creating a worse picture by trying to put HD on a standard DVD.

2 replies

Dec 20, 2011 7:13 PM in response to rhradke

welcome to my world... i could see the difference in my movies between original by hooking camera up to tv direct vs the dvd i burned put into tv. it took me a while to find out/understand... first answer above is right. from experience [i am not professional] i learned some terminology. burning dvd = only standard definition quality [even if you import from a high definition camera]... like first answer above said... you would have to get a blu-ray BURNER to get hi def dvd. i take the pains to shoot as high quality photo/video then am forced to preserve in a lower quality. so the best viewing of high quality is to play the movie from your camera to tv direct... but then you need to clear your camera. I am hoping that i can hold videos imported into iMove/Final cut then maybe one day i will have a blu-ray burner and redo the burning process in hi def [i wonder if there is a catch here?]. I also was advised that final cut pro with dvd studio would be a little improvement over iMovie [still burns standard def unless have bluray burner]. FLICKERS/SHAKES.... are you viewing the dvd from the dvd disc itself??? you have to drag the movie off the dvd to the desktop then play it. iDvd or final cut will set up the conversion to the tv dvd format. I can empathize with you greatly.

How to get a HD movie on to a DVD to use on a TV and keep the integrity of the video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.