Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Empty groups

In my Address Book on my Mac, I have contacts divided among several groups. Lately, I've noticed that some of these groups - but not all - are empty on my iOS devices (iPhone and iPad). The contacts in those empty groups show up in Address Book under "All Contacts" ... they just don't show up in the groups they were assigned to on my Mac. When I go online to iCloud.com all contacts show up in the proper groups. But on my iPhone and iPad, those contacts are not in the right groups.

Anyone know why this happens and how I can get the groups filled up with the contatcs that fill them on my Mac?

MacBookPro (Intel), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 9:38 PM

3 replies

Dec 20, 2011 9:42 PM in response to Roger Barre

1. Initially create Smart Groups to organize your contacts.

2. Create Groups with the same name as they will show up in the iPhone.

3. Copy all the contacts from the Smart Groups to the Group folders.

4. Add any new contacts in the appropriate Group folders as you enter them instead of in All Contacts. This will keep everything organized.

Dec 21, 2011 7:20 PM in response to Roger Barre

I fixed it. First, I backed up my Address Book from the Mac.

Then on both my iPhone and iPad I went into Settings:iCloud, and turned off Contacts. When given the choice, I chose to delete Contacts from the device. Once the Address Books were empty, I went back into Settings:iCloud and turned Contacts back on.

On both devices, iCloud recreated the Address Books perfectly, and all my Groups on the devices were populated exactly the same as they are on my Mac.

Problem solved.

Empty groups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.