Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back up my iPhone to a flash drive? I know it's possible, I just don't exactly know how to do it.

My computer won't back up my iPhone. I'm guessing it's due to not having enough space. I'd like to instead, back up my iPhone to a flash drive. How do you transfer it to the flash drive? I'm aware that you can choose past back ups to transfer but my iPhone has never been backed up, so is there a way to, as my phone is syncing and attempting to back up, that I could have it automatically transfer all the information straight to the flash drive? Hope i'm not too confusing and you can understand what I'm trying to ask. THANKS.

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 10:46 PM

5 replies

Sep 6, 2017 12:45 PM in response to bridgetfromwalnut creek

Once you complete your iphone backup in itune. Just browse through macintosh>Users>choose user>library>application support >mobileSync>Backup. In backup folder you will find the backup file(folder) just copy file and paste in external hard drive or pen drive. Whenever you want to restore the backup just copy from hard drive and paste to same location where you copied earlier (mobileSync>Backup)

Check below link for step by step procedure

https://www.macgeniustricks.com/2016/10/14/take-iphone-ipad-backup-pendrive/

Dec 20, 2011 11:04 PM in response to bridgetfromwalnut creek

The iPhone backups are saved on the Users/user_name/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup folder. You can create a symlink that points that folder to your external flash drive, but those backups files are pretty big so iTunes may take longer to create those files in a flash drive.

Symlinks are created using the command ln -s, and it may look something like:

ln -s /Volumes/your_flash_drive_name_here /Volumes/your_hdd_name_here/Users/your_user_name_here/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

You can also find applications that make symlinks creaton easier.

Dec 20, 2011 11:04 PM in response to bridgetfromwalnut creek

you can directly backup your iphone into an external drive. for windows 7 user, the backup will be auto stored in:C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

what i can think of is u try to find another pc which have itunes installed, u can try backup there without doing any sync, copy the backup file into ur thumb drive and keep since ur current computer is already full.

As a reminder, the backup in itunes doesnt contain ur apps/music/synced photos/videos 😉

Dec 20, 2011 11:16 PM in response to bridgetfromwalnut creek

if you have icloud set up then your backing up to iclould automaticly when you charge your phone as long as you have wifi, (using ios 5 or later). if you have never pluged up the phone to your computer, you need to install itunes for windows 7 (64 or 32 bit [which ever one you have]). plug up you phone and it will back it up and sync your phone to your computer.

I know this dont answer your question but if your new to iphone it will help.

How do I back up my iPhone to a flash drive? I know it's possible, I just don't exactly know how to do it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.