5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 11:46 AM by Mike Connelly
milyz Level 1 (0 points)

Before I sign up for iTunes Match, I want to double check something. I understand that according to Apple, "iTunes purchases do not count against [the 25,000 song iTunes Match] limit."

I have a pretty big library, and, along the way, I've purchased songs from the iTunes Store using two different iTunes accounts, let's call them Account #1 and Account #2.

If I sign up for iTunes Match using Acount #1, will the songs that I purchased with Account #2 count against the 25,000 limit?

For example, let's say that my library contains the following (I'm just making up numbers here):

50,000 songs purchased from iTunes Store with Account #1

14,999 songs purchased from iTunes Store with Account #2

10,000 songs imported from CDs.

Will iTunes Match say that I have 24,999 songs counting against the limit (Account #2 + CDs), or will it say that I have only 10,000 songs (CDs only) counting against the limit?

From my reading of Apple's iTunes Store Terms & Conditions, I think it will say that I have 24,999 songs counting against the limit, but I'm not a lawyer, so I wanted to know if anyone can confirm how it works.

• ardenus Level 1 (140 points)

Only songs that have not been matched by iTunes Match, count towards your 25 000 song limit. Most of the songs that you have purchased through the iTunes store shoud match.

If your music library contains more than 25 000 song when you try to sign up for match you will get this message:

Firefox.png

More info:

25 000 Song limit work around.

Many Apple id's Under one cloud

• qwert qwe Level 2 (270 points)

This might be interesting for those who haven't seen it yet.

Screen Shot 2011-12-21 at 18.14.40.png

I've started deleting tracks from the cloud from another iTunes on the same Match account, so they stay in my main iTunes, yet don't take up space in the cloud...

• Mike Connelly Level 4 (1,785 points)

ardenus wrote:

Only songs that have not been matched by iTunes Match, count towards your 25 000 song limit.

That's not right, matched songs do count, only purchased songs from the same account don't count toward the limit.

So if you have purchases under multiple accounts you would sign up with the account that has the most purchases.  Purchases from another account count toward the 25k as well as CD rips and stuff from any other source, those will either be matched or uploaded.  In your example you would have 24999 songs counted, 50k exempt.

• ardenus Level 1 (140 points)

Thanks for correcting me.

• Mike Connelly Level 4 (1,785 points)

No problem, it's confusing from Apple's info.