Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac shutdown by water spill!!

Okay here it goes,

I had a really bad week. My 13' 2009 Macbook pro has shutdown and it won't power on. This is how it happened, I spilled some water on my macbook pro most went on the keyboard and came out the back but some of it went in the top left corner of the keyboard where the air vent is located. The water went inside the air vent. Just a few seconds he water went in the whole machine shutdown. I quickly cleaned it up and opened up the mac. If you flip the mac on the backside the logic board is located on the top right side. I saw that some of the water was propelled by the fan and it touched the logic board. When I took a look at it I saw a (very) small amount of water on the extreme left side of the logic board and it was touching nothing major. I saw that at the top right there was a large black wire which seemed to be connecting to the screen, when I felt that it was wet. I left the mac alone in an air conditioned room in a case for 2 days. When i opened it up there was water son the keyboard and screen because it evaporated. I then opened it up and used a hair dryer with cool wind to dry it up. I closed it and left it anole for another day. Then I opened it up and everything seemed to be dry. I said my prayers and pressed on the power button... nothing! It didn't power up at all, no sign of life. I left it in a bag of rice for the next day then I opened it up and pressed the power button. Nothing! No sign of life. I then pressed the battery check button on the left side and it was working. I also plugged in the charger and it was shining a orange charging light. I have tried everything! PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT THEN PLEASE DO SO! 😢

Thanks,

Kumail Naqvi

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 2:43 AM

25 replies

Dec 21, 2011 3:24 AM in response to kumailnaqvi

I think you have answered your own question.

Electronics and water down mix. Sorry to say your MBP is probably dead dead dead.

But that does not mean the data you have stored on it is gone. More then like the hard drive is still fine, at least to get the data of it.

But you more then likely need to buy a new MBP or take that one in to a service center have had whatever parts replace that got damaged by the water.

Good luck.

Dec 21, 2011 3:53 AM in response to kumailnaqvi

If the water caused it to "shut down," that pretty much means it's fried. It didn't shut down, it shorted out and died. There's nothing we can do to help you. You'll need to either pay for repairs (they will almost certainly be expensive, and the warranty will not cover them) or replace the machine.

As Shootist007 says, the data on the hard drive may be fine, though it's always possible that the electronics that control the hard drive have shorted out. If you don't have backups, and you choose to replace the machine, you'll need to put that drive in an external enclosure (you can pick one up at most electronics stores that sell computers) so you can copy the data off of it. If it doesn't work, it may be fried, and you will need to either say goodbye to the data or shell out more for an expensive data recovery service to pull apart the drive and read the data off the platters with specialized equipment.

Dec 21, 2011 4:56 AM in response to kumailnaqvi

Yes, it's entirely possible that the machine can be repaired. But it will certainly need a new logic board and top case and probably other parts as well, so the likelihood is very high that the repair cost including labor will be close to the price of a new MBP. Take it in for a repair estimate, and make no attempt to conceal or minimize the seriousness of the spill. The technician will be able to tell what's happened. Because it will take time to disassemble the machine and see what needs to be replaced, you should expect to have to pay a fee for the estimate, particularly if you decide to replace the machine instead of going ahead with repairs.

After a major spill like yours, I'm sorry to say, the news is usually all bad.

Dec 26, 2011 1:24 AM in response to kumailnaqvi

kumailnaqvi wrote:

Bad news 😟.

The repair cost is around $900.

That's bad. Get a new one. A 13" MacBook Pro or Air will only be a couple hundred more, much more powerful, and really up-to-date. Or, as a suggestion, you can get brand new (not refurbished) previous generation (such as the early 2011 MBP) on Amazon for a couple hundred below the original list price.

And what's the lesson? 😀

Mac shutdown by water spill!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.